San Diego in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
cross posted from Snorkeling

I will be at a conference in San Diego late August and have heard SD has some awesome snorkeling (I don’t have time to scuba). Will a shorty be sufficient? Any good spot recommendations? Anyone want to get together?

Cheers!

cross posted from Snorkeling

I will be at a conference in San Diego late August and have heard SD has some awesome snorkeling (I don’t have time to scuba). Will a shorty be sufficient? Any good spot recommendations? Anyone want to get together?

Cheers!
Are you sure you couldn't get away for a dive to wreck alley, kelp forests or the Coronados?

Are you sure you couldn't get away for a dive to wreck alley, kelp forests or the Coronados?

I wish! But work won’t extend my travel (I’m a fed) and my wife doesn’t want me gone longer than necessary! I’ll be arriving Saturday night, conference runs Sunday morning to Thursday at noon, and I leave on Friday. I will only have a morning or afternoon/evening free. But I’ll be on east coast time and I’m crazy enough to get up butt early for the sea :)

I wish! But work won’t extend my travel (I’m a fed) and my wife doesn’t want me gone longer than necessary! I’ll be arriving Saturday night, conference runs Sunday morning to Thursday at noon, and I leave on Friday. I will only have a morning or afternoon/evening free. But I’ll be on east coast time and I’m crazy enough to get up butt early for the sea :)
Sorry to hear, I try to dive on every trip to San Diego, the conditions have not always allowed.

That *should* be a good time for Leopard sharks at the Marine Room. Max depth 5’ - really, they hang out in the very shallows, and are very shy. Grab some kelp or other floating plants to break up your silhouette, don’t move and watch them come out of the “fog”. No need for a wetsuit at all for that one, just watch out for sunburn.

If they aren’t around, go straight out from the same location and to the South a little, there’s a long rocky reef “baby wall” with lots of nooks and crannies. Full of lobster that will mock you, as they are in the preserve. Max depth maybe 30’ if you can find a crack on the bottom to jam a depth gauge into.

Other than that, the Cove. Conditions there seem to be either “AWESOME!!!!” or “washing machine”.

Thank you Tep - that sounds awesome!..I’m fine with low vis, but do prefer better!

Thank you Tep - that sounds awesome!..I’m fine with low vis, but do prefer better!

For the leopards you have to have low vis; they are very shy. The “low vis” is just the churned up sand from being in 4 ft of water. Go out 30 or 40 yards and it’s usually clearer, but no leopard sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom