San Diego, April 20/ 21/ 22?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatmark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings from Baltimore!

I'm headed west for work in April and am looking to take a few days off and get in my first dives in the Pacific while I'm out there. I'm probably on my own, but there's a chance I might get a buddy to join me depending on what I come up with for a plan. I have to make my way to Las Vegas in the afternoon on the 22nd so I was thinking about San Diego since I can drive back after morning dives. I'm open to meeting a group for some shore dives, but would like to get in a couple of boat dives while I'm there as well.

I've checked out several of the dive ops online and was hoping for some input from those of you who are local for your preferences. Also looking for thoughts on which (if any) have a better chance of selling enough seats on a Thursday and/ or Friday for the boat to go.

Here's what I've found so far:
  • Waterhorse has trips each day including Coronado Islands on Friday which looks like a great way to spend the day, but right now all seats all days are open.
  • Lois Ann has trips Friday and Saturday (don't know how sold they are from their website)
  • Marissa has a trip on Saturday that looks good but it also looks like all seats are open at this point.
I'm UTD REC2 certified and I'm used to relatively cold and dark since most of my dives have been in quarries here in MD/ VA, but I do have 10 boat dives in the Bahamas and Florida including four in the 100' range to the Lady Luck and RSB-1.

So locals (or other folks who've visited), what are your thoughts and recommendations?

Mark

Last edited:
See what Power Scuba is doing those days - they have a very active Meetup group. I believe they dive Thurs. nights and Ssturdays. In LaJolla - the place for shore diving in San DIego - esp. the Cove. Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond)

Divebums is another option for most things about diving in San Diego. Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website More information/resources than active diving.The only incorrect info on their website is the Sport Chalet locations - the entire chain closed at the end of last year.

The Coronados are a lot of fun, there's an active sea lion rookery there and they'll be out to play. Someone posted recently the Kelp is coming back there in some areas. The other option is if one of the boats is diving Point Loma - that's the better Kelp field typically.

Last edited:
@diversteve has a great suggestion with Power Scuba for the shore dives and depending on what Bill works out there may even be a boat dive that weekend. In my opinion Waterhorse is the best dive boat in San Diego unless you are a tech diver and want nitrox/o2 fills then Marissa.

@thatmark

I've done 6 dive trips to San Diego over the last 10 years, like you, combined with business. I've dived with all three operators you mentioned, they are all very good and have their own character. I would not hesitate to dive with any of them. I also generally travel alone. The San Diego operators treat divers as competent, responsible adults. There are no DMs in the water unless you rent one. You should not have trouble finding a buddy or a pair to dive with, doubt you will find a UDT buddy. For the last 3 trips, I have dived solo, traveling with my pony has not proven to be a problem

If you want to get in a good amount of diving and see the variety San Diego has to offer, I would stick with Waterhorse this visit. They have a 3 tanker on the 20th (Yukon, Ruby E, kelp), a 3 tanker on the 21st (Coronado Islands) and then a 2 tank kelp on the 22nd before you would have to drive to Las Vegas. I would not worry about nobody being signed up yet, it's way ahead of time. Of course, you are always at the mercy of the wind and seas, hopefully they will be in your favor.

Enjoy your visit to San Diego and good diving,

Craig

ScubaBoard Hive Mind,

Thanks all for the help so far! I've joined the Power Scuba meetup and sent their organizers a message through the website. I'll see what I hear from them about joining their folks for some shore dives. Then I figure I'll start putting in my bookings with Waterhorse since they have boats going each day and everyone's comments about them have been positive.

Mark

Mark, you're welcome to join any shore or boat event we have going during the period of your stay. Enjoy!

Bill

Mark, you're welcome to join any shore or boat event we have going during the period of your stay. Enjoy!

Bill
Thanks Bill! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your meetup schedule between now and then.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom