Samsung Digimax V3/V4 vs Sony DSC P-9/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am investigating the options for a digital camera that I can also use for u/w photos. I have searched the threads, but there seems to be very little information on the Samsung cameras.

The Sony and Samsung cameras are available locally and seem to be the best two options in terms of support and price. However, the local suppliers are not very clued up on underwater photography!

I was wondering if anyone uses the Samsung V3/V4 cameras for u/w photography and what their impressions are of them. I would like to have the option of adding slave strobes later as well as lenses and filters - is this possible with the standard housing?

From other threads, I gather that there are aftermarket options for the Sony DSC cameras from Sea&Sea. So this camera would give me a lot of room for future improvements. However, it is about R2500 (about $400) more expensive than the Samsung, including the housing. Would this be money well spent?

I know that the Sony P-10 is a 5MP camera, while the Samsung is 4MP. Is this a major issue, considering that I will probably be making jumbo prints (postcard size) most of the time with the odd A4 enlargement?

Both cameras are compact and would serve well for holiday snaps and the odd video clip. Has anyone used both of the cameras underwater? If so, which is better?

Having played with a Sea&Sea Aquapix this last weekend in Mocambique, the bug has bitten and I would like to get snapping with my own kit.

So many questions...:eek:

Thanks for all your help,

Andrew

My initial thought is that the Samsung is a better camera to go with. I think the housing is rated to 70m and the camera can take different types of batteries. I know that you can shoot in TIFF mode but I'm not sure about RAW though. You should find out if the Samsung housing allows for external lenses.

www.cathychurch.com would be a good resource on the Samsung.

ShoalDiverSA:
I am investigating the options for a digital camera that I can also use for u/w photos. I have searched the threads, but there seems to be very little information on the Samsung cameras.

The Sony and Samsung cameras are available locally and seem to be the best two options in terms of support and price. However, the local suppliers are not very clued up on underwater photography!

I was wondering if anyone uses the Samsung V3/V4 cameras for u/w photography and what their impressions are of them. I would like to have the option of adding slave strobes later as well as lenses and filters - is this possible with the standard housing?

From other threads, I gather that there are aftermarket options for the Sony DSC cameras from Sea&Sea. So this camera would give me a lot of room for future improvements. However, it is about R2500 (about $400) more expensive than the Samsung, including the housing. Would this be money well spent?

I know that the Sony P-10 is a 5MP camera, while the Samsung is 4MP. Is this a major issue, considering that I will probably be making jumbo prints (postcard size) most of the time with the odd A4 enlargement?

Both cameras are compact and would serve well for holiday snaps and the odd video clip. Has anyone used both of the cameras underwater? If so, which is better?

Having played with a Sea&Sea Aquapix this last weekend in Mocambique, the bug has bitten and I would like to get snapping with my own kit.

So many questions...:eek:

Thanks for all your help,

Andrew
I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the Aquapix.!!

Hi Deb(?),

I only used the Aquapix on one dive, but here are my thoughts.

I like the fact that the camera has everything you need in one package. It has the macro lens, red filter and flash diffuser built in. Each is activated by a large, simple lever system. The menus are simple to navigate.

My major concern with this camera is the image quality. I have attached a portion of a photo that I took with the camera (the first attachment). I have zoomed it 200% to highlight the problem better. There seems to be a dramatic sharpening effect on this camera that results in extremely obvious artifacts in the image. Look around the fins of the fish to see what I mean.

The camera is operated in automatic mode mostly. The manual options are very limited. It is also cumbersome to change options as you can't do it directly in the capture menu - you have to use the setup option on the mode dial.

Overall, my impression of this camera is that it is designed as a digital point-n-shoot only. Despite the fact that all the Sea&Sea lenses and flashes will work with this camera, the image quality and manual options are so limited that I don't believe you will be able to go much further with it.

Don't get me wrong, many people will be more than happy with this camera - my Dad is. I decided not to buy it and went with the Samsung camera instead. I have attached a photo of a rock lobster (crayfish) that I took with it to show what it is capable of (the full size version of this photo also shows visual artifacts).

There is a review of this camera at Digifish: http://www.digifish.nl/en/equipment/cameras.html

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Andrew

Just in case there is someone looking to purchase the Samsung V4, I thought I should post some of my results with the camera. I have attached a photo of a nudibranch taken on the Super Macro mode the closest I could get the autofocus to work.

I have an album of photos taken with this camera on Grove Street.

I am enjoying using this camera and would recommend it as a starter camera for digital pics.

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Andrew

HI Andrew: Your pictures are great. Can you tell me how much approx. your underwater housing was?? The diving in your area looks exceptional. Are you right near the ocean?? deb

Deb,

Thank you for the compliment, it is much appreciated.

I bought my housing in South Africa, so the price will be approximately double what you would pay online. I paid R1800 (plus/minus $260) at my local camera shop plus R4200 ($600) for the camera. It was expensive versus online purchases, but I felt safer having a point of contact. I would suggest that you look online if you are interested - especially considering you are in Canada (more in the online shopping loop). On that topic, you would be amazed how few online dealers consider South Africa to be part of Planet Earth...

Yes, I do live on the coast (in Stanger), however I am an hour away from my favourite site - Aliwal Shoal. I have attached a map of the Natal (province) dive sites in South Africa (don't remember where I got it - copyright for the map rests with the original artist...). I live next to Stanger, North of Durban. The Shoal is South of Durban.

We have great sites here, but things can get a bit hairy, particularly on the Natal South coast sites as they are quite far out to sea (+/-4km). So we are very dependent on the weather and sea conditions for good diving. Other than that we can see everything from Whale Sharks and Humpback Whales to the tiniest shrimps and macro life all on one dive site. The diversity of life on the reef is fantastic.

If you want a more tropical experience, Sodwana Bay is about 3 hours north of us and Mocambique is an afternoon's drive. To the south we have Protea Banks which is renowned for its shark dives - Bull (Zambezi), Nurse (Raggedtooth), Tiger, Hammerhead, Dusky, Copper, Bronze Whaler - they're all there.

But more of this on the Africa forum... :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Very nice also!! Which camera? Is it an Ikelite housing???deb

SA-Diver:
Should post this elsewhere but here are a few more examples of what you can see on Aliwal Shoal.

Kobus

i have the samsung V3 and piad 150 for it (200 thena 50 rebate)
i've seen the under housing for only 150.

PM me and i'll send you the sights.

i think i'm buying the housing after seeing those pictures on the V4

ShoalDiver---
what are the setting you are using. Or are you in the "prog" (automatic mode) and allow the camera to pick

have you taking any movies yet with it. i know on land it takes some nice movies for a still camera

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom