Same old same old: advice on a new camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a few years of excellent service I managed to flood my old Cybershot diving in the Farne Islands this weekend. RIP :(

Still, on the bright side I've been thinking about getting a new digital compact camera for a while so all's not lost :)

So, I'm wondering if anyone can help me by pointing me in the direction of a possible new camera. I made a list of the features that are important: oh, and one other which is I've got to get it together pretty damn quick though as I'm off to Malta for diving in around 10 days!

Manual white balance is essential (the reason I was going to replace the cybershot)
Usable internal flash is essential*
Wet mount lenses is important
Ease of use is important
RAW is nice
Greater than x3 optical zoom is nice
Compactness is nice

Budget isn't really an issue

* kind of puts me off the Canon G7 with the Canon housing.

As usual any advice greatly received!

Pink Link, please :wink: It has a whole list of various models including images and discussions.

You can compare models side by side at www.dpreview.com if you need help narrowing it down.

RAW will limit you to some of the older Fujis or Olys, the Oly 350 or the older Canon S70.

Wet mount lens may mean Ikelite housing if you go with some of the Canon A series models, but for my money, these are still some of the best options out there. I use the Canon housings and simply don't worry about the wet mounts. They are also nice and small in the Canon housings.

Check out what EdD_Man has done with his G7 in Canon housing. It has everything except RAW, and possibly the issue of internal flash, but it has a hotshoe to hardwire a strobe. If you go with the more expensive and larger Ikelite housing, you can use 67mm add on lenses, but Ed modified his Canon housing to adapt the Inons. Also, Ikelite says the lens to port distance makes add ons problematic. A630/640 would be another way to go. Same issues, but people are taking swell pics with them.

I use Fuji e900 & Ikelite housing, it fits your description perfectly.

I just got my DSLR rig together. That means my trusty Oly 5060/Ikelite rig will be for sale. Let me know if you might be interested. It has all the features you mentioned except it only has 3X zoom.

You won't find RAW on many of the newer digicams. Lots of people really like the Nikon P5000 with the all-new Fantasea FP5000 housing. Very compact, 10MP, VR image-stabilized technology, etc. The housing is a totally new design, all-metal latches, 200' depth rating, all metal controls for all camera features, internal shade for monitor and lens barrel, etc. I sell the housing alone for $209.

FP_5000_front.jpg

If your budget allows, then I would opt for a DSLR system; Nikon D40 or D80 or Canon 400xTi, Fantasea also makes great housings for them all at a reasonable price. Then you can use a wide variety of lenses, have RAW and much faster response.

Jack

Well, many thanks for the advice... in the end I've gone for the Fuji F40fd. The E900 looked good but wasn't available in UK in the time I've got. Such is life: housing won't arrive until Monday as well which is a shame as some friends have suggested heading out for a couple of dives on Sunday, which would've been an ideal time for dry run. So to speak :)

Now, Inon wide angle lens or not? Hmmmmmmm...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom