Same ocean diver found dead - Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Real buddies enter together, descend together, swim the dive together, ascend together, safety stop together, surface together, and exit together. Except for hunters. They take their risks.

A late Friday afternoon dive with friends in the waters off the Port Authority of Guam turned deadly after one man was found floating at Outhouse Beach.

According to Port Authority officials, the 39-year-old man went diving with three others around 6 p.m. when he signaled that he was experiencing trouble, and that he had to go back to shore.

The victim’s friends returned nearly an hour later to find the victim unresponsive in the water.

He was rushed to U.S. Naval Hospital Guam where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Officials are not releasing his identity.

Port police are investigating the case, which will also be forwarded to the Guam Police Department.

An autopsy will also be performed on the victim.

Free diving or scuba?
News articles often don't specify. My remarks were to do with scuba.

History keep repeating itself.
Buddy have to abort the dive because of 'trouble' and the other two divers did not call the dive themselves.
They will be regretting their decision for the rest of their lives.

Buddy have to abort the dive because of 'trouble' and the other two divers did not call the dive themselves.
A trio of divers is a headache, but there were four. "the 39-year-old man went diving with three others" So buddy pairs could have been established.

Silly me! There were three not two other divers.

... there were four. ... So buddy pairs could have been established.

They will be regretting their decision for the rest of their lives.

These divers all could have agreed to dive solo. Other possibilities as well. A lot of divers dive solo. Even when diving with others.

Just another way of enjoying this scuba diving activity we all love. This is not without risk, or course. However, no diving is without risk.

rx7diver

"According to Port Authority officials, the 39-year-old man went diving with three others around 6 p.m. when he signaled that he was experiencing trouble, and that he had to go back to shore."

He very well may have told them to keep diving, no big deal. I've done that before myself, especially hunting dives as they are basicly solo anyway.

No specificity of what the problem was. Did diver not feel well? Ears wouldn't unblock? Gear problem?

True, that the other divers will be regretful.

No specificity of what the problem was. Did diver not feel well? Ears wouldn't unblock? Gear problem?

True, that the other divers will be regretful.

As I get older, my habits have changed, not so much about regret, but because completing the dive plan is not the goal it once was.

Back
Top Bottom