Salvo 21W 9ah remote head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was about ready to order a Salvo 21W 9ah can with the remote head until I got a look at one today.

What's with the huge canister? It apparently is the same canister that was designed for the 13.5 ah battery pack... 10 inches tall... not including the lid. There is almost 2 inches of dead-space when using the 9 ah pack... 2 inches between the top of the battery and the bottom of the dry-lid or ballast.

I was expecting a canister with similar dimensions as my Sandroff... or something close to it.

The word I got from Corey was that Salvo uses the same can for the 9/21 remote and the 13.5/21 standard so that they don't have to make two different sized units.

So...

Do you guys really see an advantage to the remote head?

I really like my Sandroff but I'm getting tired of having to baby the WA bulb. My buddy's Salvo just hit a wall at 65 MPH and it lit right up. I need one of those!

The 9 ah container is slightly smaller in diameter and slightly longer then the 14.4 volt container.

The remote balasts stick into the container by two or three inches which is why the containers are so long but there really isnt much "wasted space" in them.

To my thinking this was a bit of an advantage as the longer/but narrower containers hold the long hose better. Couple of dive buddys have some older model Halcyon lights and they are just too short to reliably catch the long hose as air in the wing will often times unhook it.

Ya... the standard 9/21 12V IS of less diameter but the same height. But there is almost two inches of wasted space with the 14.4V 9/21... even with the remote head inserted. The 9/21 remote and the 13.5 standard are now using the same 10" canister.

I agree that a little extra length catches the hose a little better... but I don't have that problem even with my significantly shorter Sandroff. It is 8.5" INCLUDING the lid. (The trick there is to move the hose clamps all the up to the top of the cylinder.)

I'm just not sure how the dry lid helps that much.

I'm thinking that if I have to go with the large can that I might as well just get the 13.5 pack and get the extra burn. That's fine for when I go caving but I sorta like my little can for use in OW.

Decisions... hmm...

Most of the divers I have sold lights to dont' even notice the slightly bigger cannister on their belt so it isn't a big deal to them, they prefer the smaller light head. I like the smaller cannister and the slightly bigger head myself. I think it is just a tradeoff as to where you want the bulk to be. I have been sort of thinking of getting a 7.2 LION for myself lately. It is a much smaller cannister than the 9 amp but still has 4 hours of burn time.

Let me know if I can help you out with any Salvo questions.

Brent

Wow... I thought there would be more folks around here that use the remote head.

... a little different subject...

Where/how do you guys tie your bolt snaps to the light head? On my Sandroff I have a SS gland nut that permits a nice cave line tie. But I don't see a good place to do it on the Salvo. I have tied the bolt snap to the chord.. over the strain relief... just above the nut... but I really don't like how it squishes the chord. It just doesn't look like a good spot.

I'm not talking about the Goodman snap.

(I use two snaps... one on the Goodman (that one's easy)... and one on the light head.)

Pictures?

rainman_02:

Stephen is asking for pictures of how people attach a snap to the rear of a Salvo light ballast - the lights in your links are Halcyon/EE lights...

Stephen Ash:
Where/how do you guys tie your bolt snaps to the light head? On my Sandroff I have a SS gland nut that permits a nice cave line tie. But I don't see a good place to do it on the Salvo. I have tied the bolt snap to the chord.. over the strain relief... just above the nut... but I really don't like how it squishes the chord. It just doesn't look like a good spot.

I'm not talking about the Goodman snap.

(I use two snaps... one on the Goodman (that one's easy)... and one on the light head.)

Pictures?

Stephen, my solution is probably not what you're looking for... I don't use a rear snap but a bugie loop and couldn't find a secure place to tie it. The groove on the Salvo nut is too small. My solution; tie the bugie loop on with cave line and use a zip tie on the strain relief to prevent the cave line from sliding down.

For some reason I cannot attach the pic - will try again later.

There's a small groove between the nuts of the salvo lightheads at the end. It's enough for thin cave line to get into so that's what I use to tie a bungee loop there.

By the way, why is the goodman handle loop on all the pics on the right (when handle is facing away from you). I found that the light stows much better when the loop and bolt are on the left. In particular, I clip it to my right chest d-ring so that the handle is facing up (with respect to my chest), and I run my longhose over it to keep it tightly down. When I had the goodman handle loop on the right I had to either put the handle facing down, which is uncomfortable and unnatural, or with the handle up the light would be the goodman handle's length closer to my chin i.e. in the way. I hope that made sense. Anyway, is there a reason for which side the loop is on?

P.S. I'd post a pic, but SB won't let me.

I have the 21w 9a with remote head and really like it, though it's my first cannister light so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I like having the ballast in the can. I handle the head all the time, so I apprecaite it being smaller. I seldom notice the cannister at all once I've got my rig on. I'm not sure how much bigger the cannister could go before it started to bother me, but I'd imagine it's quite a bit.

Thanks to everyone above for tips on attaching bolt snaps - I've also been having some difficulty with this and have been using an ugly work-around involving several zip ties.

Vie:
Stephen is asking for pictures of how people attach a snap to the rear of a Salvo light ballast - the lights in your links are Halcyon/EE lights...

Exactly. I'm trying to figure a better way to tie to the rear of the Salvo light head without squishing the chord.

I'll take another look at the groove on the nut that Floater has been using. But I looked at that before and it looked a little too small to get a good grab with cave line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom