Salvaging steel tanks here in ATL area, best way to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
I just got a call today from my LDS here in the ATL area where my 20yr+ old 95cu ft. steel and a older 72 cu. ft. steel tank was showing some exterior flaking of the paint and some rust underneath and didn't want to proceed with the VIP.
The 95 passed hydro and VIP last year as well as the 72 cu. ft. a few years ago and VIP last year. It was a gift from a friend who gave up diving many years ago.
The LDS said the tanks are probably salvageable, but they don't have the man power to strip the paint and any coating and remove the rust to recoat or repaint the tanks to pass VIP

Do I find someone( sandblast co.,etc) here in the ATL area that can beadblast or sandblast, etc the tanks so they can be salvaged and be service worthy again?

Anyone done this before and best way to proceed with these projects?

I love my steels and don't want to have to dive just my Aluminum 80cu ft.

I think both thanks are Luxfer, but since they are still at the LDS, I can't confirm

Thanks!

call around the local hydrostatic testers to see which can shotblast the tanks then hydro them. zrc cold galv paint when you get them back.

also, luxfer never made steel tanks. you likely have pst or norris for the 72 and faber or pst for the 95.

LP95 could be Worthington/XS Scuba...

call around the local hydrostatic testers to see which can shotblast the tanks then hydro them. zrc cold galv paint when you get them back.

also, luxfer never made steel tanks. you likely have pst or norris for the 72 and faber or pst for the 95.
Thanks for the info. I'll call some of the local hydrotesters

I just found a place north of Atlanta. Ga. Cylinder and Hydrotest is the name They also do shotblast and painting along with hydrotesting of scuba cylinders and other steel cylinders for commercial work and fire rescue work.

Thanks for the tip!

I just found a place north of Atlanta. Ga. Cylinder and Hydrotest is the name They also do shotblast and painting along with hydrotesting of scuba cylinders and other steel cylinders for commercial work and fire rescue work.

Thanks for the tip!

Since you said north of Atlanta, I looked up that company and they're not too far from me (About a 30min drive). I guess I just found my new Hydro testing location.

They are in Loganville about 16 miles from me in here Tucker. Ask for Jake. He did an excellent job of shot blasting the rust off of my 95cu. steel tank and an old 72 cu. steel tank (I got from a friend of mine at church who doesn't dive anymore) Jake painted them, they look brand new!
You can chose the color from a big color chart. Jake did a VIP on both tanks, all for $76 total price.
Only thing they can't do is a fill.

They are a life saver for old rusty steel tanks to be made new again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom