Salvaging Apeks DS4 body..Any hope?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I ended up with a bunch of regulators from a random craigslist purchase. Most of them were good and easily serviceable.

Long story short, one of them was an Apeks DS4 that looks like it unfortunately flooded in salt water and put away and sat for years. I have plenty of experience rebuilding Apeks regs and was hoping to be able to salvage this one but looks like body might be too far gone. I hate throwing away regulators..

Everything went in ultrasonic got cleaned but unfortunately I'm getting a very slight but unfortunately noticeable IP creep over 45-60 minutes (IP set to 125psi but after 60+ minutes i'm over 160psi and will keep going slowly) Obviously there is IP creep..

I tried changing out HP Balance Plug (new stock I had from another first stage), changed o-rings and HP seat. Don't really want to waste any more parts on this reg.

I even tried using the Apeks Polishing Tool (AT73) to polish the crown orifice (7-8 rotations) to no avail.

I'm guessing the only hope here is a new DS4 body or just toss the reg and keep it for spare parts but does anyone have any alternative techniques for trying to salvage a DS4? Perhaps more aggressive polishing tool? I recall seeing a thread where someone used some sort of micromesh to repair ScubaPro MK15 pistons. Anyone tried a similar technique on an DS4 body?

upload_2019-6-6_11-50-21.png

This is an example of a DST with a damaged crown. Too much damage for polishing.
In this case, the IP creep was fast, reaching over 17bar within a minute.

I'd say: if you can see the damage, replace the housing. I got a new one for €45, which ain't much when you consider this is life supporting equipment.

View attachment 522997

This is an example of a DST with a damaged crown. Too much damage for polishing.
In this case, the IP creep was fast, reaching over 17bar within a minute.

I'd say: if you can see the damage, replace the housing. I got a new one for €45, which ain't much when you consider this is life supporting equipment.

Yup. The odd thing is I can't see much damag e(when compared to your example). I looked with a magnifying glass. I'm going to try polishing it more aggressively and look again otherwise I'll just toss the body.

If you need a new body, message me.
"Everybody needs somebody, sometime." (Dean Martin)
...and if you were to see mine you'd know he wasn't lying.

Back
Top Bottom