Salvage Operations With Mask and Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CatalinaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
With years of Scuba experience, I took a job cleaning the pool at California State University Fullerton, scraping the bottom of the pool with pumice stone. Menial work, but the pay wasn't much. This introduced me to the swimming coach with whom I dived many times off the California coast.

One day a swimmer doing laps complained that he had lost one contact lens. No prob I told him. Then I proceeded to go to the bottom of his lane and put my right ear an inch off the bottom while I glided slowly. First run I found it. He was flabbergasted. Science at work.

Years later at Cabo San Lucas, my good marathon friend Chuck got us a marlin boat free of charge and a week at a coastal hotel. We rented jetskis and were jumping the waves through the famous Arch at Cabo.
Back in the harbor, Chuck was beside his jet ski diving. Seems he had worn his prescription glasses while jet skiing and... they were on the bottom.
"Right here, Chuck?" "Yep, right here."

I looked down and the bottom was sandy and only 20-25 feet deep. Home run. Toward shore I marked the line of a hotel wall. To my right I marked a buoy 100 feet away. Triangulated.

"Let me go warm up in the hot tub, get mask and flippers from a lifeguard and I'll get your glasses." After a ten minute warmup, I borrowed snorkel and fins and set up a search grid, going down to about 10 feet above the bottom. I saw something but it was too small to be glasses. Two more passes and I found them, worth $200. Chuck was elated. We returned to our hotel room and Chuck reached into his swimming trunks for our safe key. GONE! He lost it in the ocean.

No prob. I already saw it. "NO WAY" Chuck says. NO WAY.
"I'll get the key I swear to God." The charge for lost safe key was $100.

"You find it and I'll pay for your four-wheel dune buggy tomorrow in the desert!"

Borrowed mask and flippers and in ten minutes, returned to my marked spot. Duck soup. The key was buried halfway in the sand but it shone in the light. Chuck was incredulous and told all his friends this tale he thought so amazing. Just a few minutes work for an accomplished diver.

"It ain't braggin' if you really done it. - Dizzy Dean

"I am no one to be trifled with." - The Dread Pirate Roberts

Now for your further entertainment, please see one of my ninety websites: Titanic Probabilities

Back
Top Bottom