Salvage Find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also pivoted to the compressor and it looks like I am going to have to source a piston for the 1st/2nd stage. The 1st stage side is in pretty rough shape. Thinking about making my own.
1st2ndstagepiston.jpg

I've also pivoted to the compressor and it looks like I am going to have to source a piston for the 1st/2nd stage. The 1st stage side is in pretty rough shape. Thinking about making my own. View attachment 588168
That damage took a lot of heat....

View attachment 588167
I looked and can't see any cracks. Maybe the start of the treading looks like one?
Look all the way in the bottom. Can't see it in this picture.

Look all the way in the bottom. Can't see it in this picture.

There's two different chambers and I'm not sure which the original pic is from. What would be the best way to verify structural integrity? Can these be hydro tested like a tank?
filtersideA.jpg
filtersideB.jpg
mechanicalseparatorsideA.jpg
mechanicalseparatorsideB.jpg

Can these be hydro tested like a tank?
It's not a hydro test, it's a pressure test using water as the test medium. A cylinder hydro test measures expansion and permanent deformation of a cylinder, you just want to pressure test the cylinder.

Sure, if you know a hydro tester, or if you have access to a 10k PSI pump. Pump it full of water, then crank the pressure to 10K psi or so. Hold it for 20 minutes. If pressure doesn't drop, you're in good shape.

I'm a nerd for stuff like that. My lathe has an Atomic Energy Commission property tag on it, which adds some intrinsic value to me, even if it doesn't mean a darn thing in dollar worth.

LOL! I mounted an ID plate from a Westinghouse reactor vessel on my hot water heater after I wrapped it with an AL insulation pad! :)

Good luck with your project OP!

Interested to see how the reclamation job goes. Keep us posted!

So a quick update. I have broken this project down into two different goals. I am going to first get the compressor running and then work on the filter stacks. I luckily was able to find someone who have a replacement 1st/2nd stage piston w/rings and it is on it's way from the UK. I have already stripped the compressor down and am in the process of replacing the crankshaft bearings and hopefully will be reassembling it in the near future. Also was able to log three dives this weekend up on Bull Shoals and Norfork Lake, AR which are what I would consider to be my first real lake dives. Looking forward to exploring more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom