Salty Endeavors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicklebon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My family just got back from our first trip to Cozumel where my son and I were able to spend 6 days and 15 dips under the water diving with Salty Endeavors. Let me state up front that I went into this trip completely green concerning Cozumel and was at the mercy of DMs and boat skippers. I can not be more pleased with the experience. We were picked up from the Occidental pier for every trip and never had more than 4 other guests on the boat and in one case just the two of us. I cannot imagine why anyone would chose the larger boats with a dozen plus divers I saw each morning depart the pier. I personally want no part of that kind of diving.

In an effort to keep the guests engaged the DMs always asked what we wanted to dive, what had already dove or wanted to see. During the week we dove with folk with experience levels ranging from certified the previous day to hundreds of dives, my son and I both crossed the 100 dive mark during the week. That said, the DMs did a remarkable job allowing folks to expand and explore while still keeping our small cat herd somewhat together and out of boat props.

While I did not meet the owner, Henry, I corresponded with him almost daily and his attention to the running of his shop is astonishing. I literally sent him an email at 2330 one evening concerning a schedule change on my part and he replied before 0100.

From what I've read here everyone has their favourite shop and tends to be loyal. If you don't already have a preferred shop in Coz I can say without hesitation that SE is worth a long hard look. I can say that going forward that if I am diving in Cozumel I will be diving with SE.

Sounds great. What did you think of staying at the Occidental? Any particular pros and cons?
The Occidental ... Overall I liked it but there are some caveats.

1. The staff could not have been more friendly.
2. The staff at the Royal level check in desk while friendly were inept. There is not another way to say it.
3. The food is not their strong area. You can certainly find decent food and won't go hungry but it pays to survey the landscape each meal.That said, the à la carte restaurants are very good as is breakfast.
4. The guy that admins the pier tried to double dip. Basically the if your using the non-resident dive shop it is expected that a use fee is paid per day per diver. SE paid for this and appropriate information was collected. That did not stop him from asking me to pay again as soon as the boat left. I firmly told him no.
5. Rooms were clean and comfy.
6. Not a lot of evening activity if that's something you're looking for.
7. Pools closed a little early for my taste.

All of that said I'll go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom