salt buidup on doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just got my manifolded doubles VIP , bewteen the tanks and doubles bands there was major salt build up. the tanks pass the test but they might not next year . I got my tanks imerge in the tub so hopefully the salt bulit up would loosen. any Ideas??
thanks!!.

Danny

You need to rinse your tanks just like any other piece of gear, especially when they are banded.

To remove existing salt, put them in the bath tub and sponge them down with a solution of 50% white vinegar and water. Whoever VIP'd them should have removed the salt build up before re-assembling them, so if they did not point it out to them and ask them why they did not address it when they had them apart

Assuming you have decent quality bands and they are properly assembled so that the tanks are truly parallel, you should be able to carefully loosen one band, slide it down and clean under it, then re-install and tighten and then repeat the process with the other band. Just be sure not to put any loads on the tank that would stress the manifold.

Yup, I rinse my doubles after every trip paying special attention to rinse around the bands. To echo what DA said, I would completely remove one band at a time and give them a good cleaning as there is probably some rust build up as well.

Back
Top Bottom