Saipan 4/9-11/06 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from Saipan where my gf and I spent three days diving. Ok, I spent three, she spent two. We started off right since our plane arrived at 12:30 am, 45 minutes early (usually a three hour and fifteen minute trip from Central Japan Airport). Of course our hotel taxi was waiting for us after we blitzed through immigration and customs with our carry on baggage. So far so good!
We were in the room, unpacked, and in bed in record time but of course couldn't sleep due to our anticipation for the next days diving. Somehow, sometime we got an adequate sleep and were ready in the lobby for our pick up at 7:25 am.
After getting our equipment at Seashore Divers (a ten minute ride from the hotel), we met our companion for the day. A rather shy (socially inept) gent from Tokyo who hadn't been diving for quite awhile. He wasn't exactly as fun as a barrel of monkeys, but oh well. After getting our kit, and going over the day's itinerary we headed out. The shop had told us that they wanted to do something easy to check on our skills for the first dive, so we headed to Lau Lau Beach where we took our briefing and made our entry.
You enter Lau Lau by walking across some very uneven terrain for about 80 meters until you get to waist-deep water where you can don fins and mask and head for the rope. We were lucky and having arrived around 9:30 found the waves to be quite gentle although it can be a bit surgy (I broke a fins strap there on my very first certification dive last year). Just after donning our gear, we scrabbled a few feet deeper where we submerged and followed one of several ropes that lead through gaps in the shoal and allow descent into more open waters.
We took it easy swimming around the coral and rock formations for awhile. Visibility was "really bad" that day: only 15m due to heavy silt. Still, we somehow made the best of it in the 27C waters of the horseshoe shaped bay (where Magellan once landed). I mainly worked on tuning my buoyancy and trying to anticipate my remaining air. Our erstwhile partner had some serious problems with his buoyancy and spent lots of time floating away or crawling around the bottom. Luckily, we had two guides with us, so while our leader spent time patiently coaching M-san into stability, our trailing guide lurked at a discrete distance and kept an eye on my gf and I who, happily, were able to cruise around with little problem and enjoy the environment.
I was very proud of my girlfriend. It seems that my incessant nagging has had some effect on her as throughout the course of the dive, she was able to one-by-one shed some of her bad habits and seemed to become more relaxed and comfortable. I could have sworn I caught her enjoying herself once or twice.
The dive was over all too quickly. We headed back towards the shoal, met our exit rope, and pulled ourselves up and out through the gently surging waters. We saw some really well formed coral domes (brain coral?), lots of Sea Cucumbers, numerous anenomes with accompanying Clown Fish, some friendly Sunset Wrasses, and of course, the ubiquitous Spurobranchus giganticus. Sorry about that last one. Some of Seashore's fish finder books only show the Latin names. They were little purple critters who run for cover en masse and hide in porous rocks, corals, etc. when you wave a paw towards them. Anyone know the common name?
After a 20 minute or so drive, we arrived at our second spot of the day: Obyan (Obajon) Beach. We took our time setting up our gear and doing our briefing to ensure a decent surface interval and were in the water by 11:25.
Obyan's entry is similar to Lau Lau's, but by then it was high tide, so our gear seemed much lighter as we waded out through the chest deep water. My gf was quite happy about that! The shoal there is less rocky and more coraley (did I make that word up?) but more on that later.
Visibility was a stunning 35 meters and again, fish and fauna were in abundance. M-san had a better grip on his buoyancy by then, so we took it easy and cruised around enjoying the various coral formations and fish with our two attentive guides. Some highlights of the dive, but indeed not nearly one-tenth of what we saw, were: some large Moorish Idols, oodles and oodles of Firedarts, Surge Damesoilles, and a small field of Garden Eels. I was testing my new Canon housing during this first day, so no pictures to post. The water was blue, warm, and teeming with life. Once again however, <French accent> ...before we knew it, it was once again time to leave the majesty of the sea and return to dry land where we could only dream of the magical, life-giving ocean we had left behind. <end French accent> Bad point: the rope lying along the coraley shoal cut the bejusus out of my pinky...:116: And I'd teased my gf about her reef gloves!
After taking care of our gear, logging our dives at the shop and enjoying a delicious Japanese bento (you guessed it...seafood, but only $7) we got dropped off, had our showers, napped, and were enjoying the tropical elegance of the pool-side bar by 4:00pm. After two beers I was knackered so after another short nap we had a lovely but pricey Teppanyaki dinner (think Benni Hanna's) and hit the hay early for a good night's sleep.
The next day, my girl and I were waiting again at 7:25 for our pick up. We were heading out on the Alius, a very fast and stable deep V, single-prop dive boat with Cpt. Brett. Brett's a Florida native who has long since gone native in Saipan. He was quite the character: think of a cross between Cpt. Quint (from Jaws) and Robin Williams on excedrin and a Starbucks triple expresso with extra caffeine.
Brett handled the Alius expertly, and while I quite enjoyed the hour-long ride to Naftan Point, I can't say that my girlfriend did. She's just not a boat person. She almost made it with only a green face and really pained expression until we hit the South side of the island. Once we broke from the sheltered seas between Saipan and Tinian...well...it got a bit rough and I'll spare you the details.
Fortunately, we made the Southern crossing in about eight minutes and were able to stop and begin dropping divers. We carried two other groups totalling eight other divers and guides. The owner of Seashore, who decided that he would personally guide the two hot, young, single, experienced Japanese diver girls from Northern Japan and Mr. Ace Diver from my current hometown of Nagoya (kind of a boor), and another group of five from another shop. They strode off of the dive platform as my gf recovered herself and we all hydrated on cold barley tea and prepared for our entries. I must admit that for some reason I was quite nervous about my first boat dive. Really, I didn't know what to do or how to do it. Cpt. Quint, I mean Brett was super easy-going and guided me into my preparation and entry while making me feel like I wasn't a total idiot after all. He looks like the kind of guy you don't want to run into in a dark alley at night, but he's all-pro all the way.
We dropped into the ultimately azul yet clear waters (is that possible?) off of Saipan's southernmost point and my gf was instantly cured. We descended on a buoyed rope cast from the stern and met up on the bottom at about 17 meters depth.
Our guide from the day didn't win any points for friendliness, but she was definitely a pro as well. My gf complained that she wasn't as attentive as Yosuke, who had sheparded us through our certification last November and our first day's diving on this trip. I think otherwise. She was always just where she needed to be. When my gf needed some coaching, Nozomi was on the spot giving the right instructions. She just tended to do her own thing a bit more as she guided us, but I felt that she was always well-aware of the situation and her group, so I was pleased. Not the friendliest person in the world, but Japanese dive staff and non-English speakers in general tend to get put off a bit when dealing with non-Japanese so I imagine she was quite nervous about me.
Naftan's coral formations are wild. The best way I can describe them is that they are lunar. One has no recourse but to float along there since the outcroppings from the bottom are irregular and wild to say the least. Amazing, and of course, teaming with life. I had my camera going on the second day, so I got a few photos. I tried to use my flash a few times, but it wouldn't go off. There was too much light! I had dragged my bulky diffuser down for nothing. I've often read "get close...shoot up," so as I was trying some experimental shots here and there, I would float very low towards the bottom and get right up on my subject. More than once our socially inept...I mean shy third partner from Tokyo would be right up on me. I'd try to rise up off of the bottom and <BAM> smack right into M-san. I mean, the guy was literally right on top of me. I decided that his nickname should be Ramorrah (for obvious reasons). Anyway, even though my photos sucked, I'll put a few in my gallery if anyone is interested.
Naftan highlights: beautifully clear water, lunar coral formations, Fire Dartfish, Bluestreak Fusiliers, Pyramid Butterflyfish, Bohadschin argal (a kind of large, yellow, spotted sea cucumber) and some large Orange-Fin Anenome Fish (complete with anenomes), gf was super-comfortable and had a really good time. There was also a cool drop off to about 45 meters which we floated over and swam above, but maxed our dive at 17.2 meters. Bad points: Ramorrah-like dive buddy who was ALWAYS out of LOS and about 2mm under my wetsuit, slightly bothersome current but it was manageable (and good experience I think).

After we climbed up the ladder and got our gear stowed, Cpt. Brett got the mighty Alius fired up and we thundered off along to the North along the West side of the island to the calmer waters between Saipan and Tinian. My gf was too blown away from the beauty of the dive to get queasy and after about 20 minutes we were stopped at Ice Cream, a huge domed coral formation that serves as a cleaning station for local Eagle Rays. After a leisurely surface interval, we started our second dive. Since I now knew a bit more about dive boat proceedures I geared up and dropped in, more relaxed, and was first to the bottom at 17 meters to meet my trio.
Ice Cream features the same type of lunar coral bottom, but the predominant feature is a 15 meter dome of coral with many overhangs and protrusions. Many fish, beautiful water, yeah...yeah. I'm I getting jaded (or do divers get coraled)? Well, not much more to say. The conditions and seascape was much the same as Naftan with the aforementioned exception. 28C temperature, 25m visibility, blue, blue, fish, fish.
Since our trio was a bit inexperienced, we circled around the base of the formation and enjoyed the many sights from below. The more experienced group from Seashore swam around about half-way up the cone but then their skills were much more refined then ours, so I understand, but I can still envy them.
Ice Cream highlights: Some really uniquie coral formations, Crocodile Needlefish, lots of large Pearly Scale Soldierfish, Blackfin Dartfish, some kind of giant clam, and eight Spotted Eagle Rays being cleaned by some little sucker fish. Bad points: Ramorrah man, I wasn't skilled enough to check out the action along the mid-point of the formation.
After we got squared away, back to our hotel, and rested, we headed into town (Garapan?) where we visited a small local restaraunt that Yosuke had recommended earlier. Good prices, good food, friendly service, and a non-touristy atmosphere. We made it back early and of course got a good night's sleep. Girlie had decided before our trip that she'd relax around the hotel on day three, so of course I decided that I'd do three dives!
Captain Brett had us out at Shipwreck by 8:38 am (it's about five minutes from the harbor) with two Chomorro guides and their two Japanese divers. This wreck has recently been identified as the Sho-an Maru by a Japanese historian. It lies pretty shallow at about 9 meters. I dove on day three with Eiko, from Seashore, and a pretty nice couple from just North of Tokyo who were friendly and open-minded about diving with a Gaijin (that's me!).
We swam over, around, and did some swimthroughs but of course no penetrations (not much to penetrate anyway). We enjoyed the usual 28C/25m conditions and saw way-too-many fish including but not limited to: Star Puffers, schools of Yellowfin Goatfish, Seargent Majors, Scissor-tail Seargents, Goggle-eyes, Blue-green Chromis, Humbug dascyllus, Limenenaredra sp, and Latticed Sandfish. I felt like quite the old salt at boat diving and wasn't nervous at all.
We returned to the dock and took a lengthy interval since we all planned on a three-dive day. After changing our tanks, we headed out on another five-minute trip to Eagle Ray City. You get three guesses as to why they call it this (and the first two don't count).
Dropping down to 10m, we were instructed to crawl our way across the bottom using rocks and fingers stuck into the sand to help kick our way against the light but significant current. I estimate that we moved North about 300 meters or so from our anchorage. Crawling along, we snuck up on the skittish Rays to where a line of rocks was set in the sand; whether by the hand of man or by nature, I couldn't say. Our guide motioned us to take up an East-West line along the rocks which we did. Wondering why we had stopped, I glanced around and noticed about ten Spotted Eagle Rays just hovering to the landward side of us about eight meters away. They seemed to be enjoying the current coursing through their gills and just kept their place, head into the current.
As we marvelled at and photographed the encounter, additional rays would come and join the flotilla until we counted over 40 of the animals hovering nearby. Occasionally they would ebb towards or away from us in a body, sometimes to within only a couple of meters. It was facinating for about ten minutes, then really interesting, then kind of cool. After about fifteen minutes I started enjoying and focussing my camera on the many other kinds of fish that swam with and around the rays.
The man from my dive trio of the day was also getting fidgity and started turning over the rocks and scaring up small creatures. A flash of movement caught my eye, and I noticed a small octopus dart away from him and between some rocks only about a foot from me! I love octopusses and really wanted to see one. I turned my camera on it, but noticed that my batteries had died! Every morning, I put in a new set, but I guess that it had just been on too long. Half disappointed and half relieved that I could experience the environment instead of just observe it through a viewfinder, I eased over to watch the creature as I put my camera away.
Unfortunately, when I turned to tap my neighboring diver from another group (who's camera was working) and give him the official PADI sign for "octopus," (fingers splayed and spasming in jerky, jetting motions) my ad hoc partner from North of Tokyo couldn't leave well enough alone and frightened the little purple octopus so that it hid under the rocks. Grrrrr!
I caught my guide's eye and gave her THE SIGN. She moved up and with a mischievious look and all the aplomb of an action-movie hero, dramatically pulled her blunt dive knife from her BCD strap, and edged the discoverer aside. She began gently probing into the rocks and peering in from a slight distance. She soon gave up however, indicating that the little feller was getting stressed and wasn't willing to play. Oh well. I still saw my octopus though!
Noticing that we were through being awed by the (truly awesome) site of the floating rays, she gesture/asked if we were satisfied, which we were, and led us back towards the ascent rope. The current carried us along, back the way we had come over the white, sandy bottom with a few stops along the way to observe this or that. I envied the comfort and ease with which Eiko floated on her back, always six inches above the bottom, as she obviously luxuriated in the floating/flying sensation of being swept along. I took an object lesson in the neccessity of buoyancy control. I want to be able to fly like she did!
Highlights of Eagle Ray City: 40+ Spotted Eagle Rays, tons of Whitemargin and Orangespine Unicornfish, Latticed Sandfish, Peacock Flounder, and the purple Octopus! Cool mini-drift to the exit line. Bad points: Dude couldn't just enjoy the octopus and scared it away, camera malfunction (batteries were ok; probably shifted mode and didn't disable powersaving. Mia culpa), only 20m vis.
After lunch and a nice long rest/interval, we hooked up with two other divers who had been doing beach dives during the morning. I had hoped to visit the B-29 that crash landed in the harbor for dive #2, but was the only one who wanted to, so I didn't push it. I've later learned that some are claiming that it isn't a B-29 at all but in fact a Japanese Emily seaplane. I'm not convinced yet on this one, but anyway, it's a plane from WWII and I just love those (almost as much as octopusses).

Any disappointment I felt was allayed when I learned that we were headed to The Grotto, Saipan's premier dive site. I hadn't dared to hope since I've heard that it can be challenging and I'm still a beginner. Seashore is VERY safety minded, very experienced, and very professional, so I was glad that I measured up to their esteem.
Our group of five made the two-meter giant stride into the entrance pool of the cavern and roundevouzed on the surface with our guides. My group of three from the morning dives went with Eiko, and the newlywed couple who did the beach dives went with Nozomi (the grim). In addition, we had one more guide standing by and to assist with the exit (which is a bear). We took our time getting to and setting up for the entry. Once more I was first in the water and had plenty of time to enjoy the view with my mask stuck under the surface.
No words I can think of would ever do it justice. Blue, dazzling, breathtaking, friendly, deceptive, enticing, warm, glowing, enrapturing...I could go on. This is one well-photographed site which I'm sure you can find plenty of images of. Still, even the best photo could never do it justice! There are three swimthroughs that lead to what I can only guess is an enclosed, uncovered area beyond. Feel free to correct me on the exact composition, those of you who know the spot. We entered the right-most, #1 I believe. Beyond there are dazzling rock formations, a moderate drop off, fish fish fish, and the most effusive blue glow. Just look at the images (not mine). I could never describe it.
Grotto Highlights: I told you...look at some good images! Also, while steadying myself against the current by gripping a rock, I noticed a Scorpion fish (neglecta, anyone know the common name of this type?) about six inches in front of my hand. Whew! Good thing I didn't grab that. Actually, I didn't see it until Eiko pointed it out to me and cautioned us against contact with it. I'm usually careful about where I touch but I guess I need to be even more so! Also, on our way back to the ascent line, we saw a couple of one-meter White Tip Reef Sharks on a sandy area between some rocks. I couldn't get a photo, so Eiko guided me carefully into a better position a bit closer to the little biters. During our briefing, she had admonished those with cameras not to use the flash, but as I was changing camera modes, trying to get a non-blurred photo I stumbled upon Auto which tripped the flash on my shot. I felt so bad, but got a great picture! During our safety stop, I glanced back at the backlit swimthroughs and noticed a lone fish floating there that I took to be a baracuda. The other man in my trio mentioned it when we were writing up our logs afterwards, and we decided to confirm it after the other group mentioned seeing one. Bad points: Have to lug your gear back up many stairs to the parking lot, can't stay underwater forever. Also, had a bummer encounter with a fellow American in the parking lot which I'll describe in an upcoming rant.
While in Saipan, my gf and I stayed at the elegant and classy Nikko Hotel, renowned for it's world-class service and tropical charm. It's a bit pricey, but she paid!:biggrin2: Diving services were provided by Seashore Inc., in my opinion Saipan's premier Japanese-speaking dive shop. We enjoyed bottom times of about 45 minutes, used 12l tanks, a diver/guide ratio of 3:1 or better, and I never went down with less then 200bar/2800psi of air in our tanks. I'll be heading back in about six weeks when I'll give Speedy Tertle Dive Shop a try. Look forward to or dread my report after that (don't tell anyone, but I can be a bit long-winded:wink:).

Catch my long-winded rant here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=137779

Hm...so how was the budget spend? Any pictures to show? Wonder if you managed to snap some shot at the cleaning station?

My gf used her Northwest Miles for our airfare. It generally runs about $350-450 USD from Japan (each). After that, total expenses with diving, food, beer, etc. amounted to around $1000 USD for both of us. We had a couple of nice meals, and paid a bit extra for a nicer hotel, but it can be done a bit cheaper as well.
Diving with full equipment rental, boat fees, etc. ran about $550 USD total for us both since we took advantage of the shop's web booking discount.
I'm in the process of uploading pics now. Anything you see in my gallery is from this last trip, my first outing with my new camera.

Any photo sharing:huh:

RikRaeder:
Anything you see in my gallery is from this last trip, my first outing with my new camera.

:lol:

WOW Big school of Eagle rays.
Thanks you for your sharing:D

RikRaeder:

These are great descriptions of the dives. I was there in March and went to Lau Lau Beach and the Grotto. Loved them both. When we went out of the Grotto to the open sea, we took the far left opening then followed the wall left for awhile till we came to another cave that was pretty big. We saw 4 white-tipped sharks when we came back to the Grotto. Just as you mentioned, laying on the sandy bottom.

My wife and I are moving to Saipan next spring so I can't wait to do that dive over and over again. I put a video of the Grotto (from above the water) on my blog: http://ahobbitsholiday.blogspot.com/2007/04/saipan-trip-report.html

It'll give you an idea what it's like if you haven't seen it before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom