Saint Martin Dive Ops / sights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBRIS,
I spoke to one of the operators and they advised me conditions are very rough this time of year. Not really interested in a rough ride or bad conditions, what do you think of SABA or one of the neighboring islands ?

Hi Murphy, I also find that really odd! Can I ask which operation you talked to? (Feel free to message me privately -- this is a small island and word gets around.) I am pretty new to diving here, but St. Maarten is considered an all-year diving destination and the winds are calmest in the summer, when ocean conditions are overall better. Late summer is the hurricane season (June, July, August) and is prone to hurricanes, tropical storms, and big rains, which can quickly ruin diving conditions. I went out 4 days after Tropical Storm Elsa a few weeks ago, and the visibility was unfortunately shot. I will say that this summer has been windier than is typical, and there have been a lot of waves the last few times I've gone out. Perhaps the operator was describing the current conditions and not necessarily the whole season?

As for Saba, I doubt the conditions would be any better if conditions were bad in St. Maarten. Saba is close to St. Maarten and less protected given its steep formation. If visibility is bad in one, I would think it would be bad at the other. The sites in Saba are much deeper, so it has that going for it. I was diving there 2 weeks ago and while the visibility was fairly poor at times, the sites and coral formations are amazing and made up for it. The ferry started operating just as I left -- yes, it is about 90 minutes or more. It can be a rough ride, but with half a Mercalm tab and a drybag (the ferry windows are not particularly well-sealed), I experienced no seasickness or discomfort. You can also take a Winair flight -- the premier dive operator on Saba, Sea Saba, says this:

"One of the more frequently asked questions divers have about Saba concerns the risks associated with diving, flying and hiking. For decades, divers have been flying to Saba from St. Maarten, conducting two-three dives and returning to St. Maarten the same day without any known cases of decompression sickness resulting directly from the short 12-minute Winair flight. This is due, in part, to the flight not exceeding an altitude of 2500 feet (and frequently much less) as well as its short duration. However, as you remember from your introductory scuba course, there is an increased risk associated with flying after diving. In particular, if you are planning to depart on an international flight from St. Maarten, you should adhere strictly to the guidelines of your certifying agency and allow sufficient time for off-gassing."
There are a handful of nice dive sites near Tintamarre, but dive operators will only go there upon request and if the weather is extremely calm. You will likely be diving Dutch-side only with Dutch-side operators.

In may I went to "cow and something", small pinnacle which was the closest site to Tintamarre I have been to on sxm. Conditions were crap and not worth the effort.

In may I went to "cow and something", small pinnacle which was the closest site to Tintamarre I have been to on sxm. Conditions were crap and not worth the effort.

You probably went to Cow and Calf, which is pretty far from Tintamarre and closer to the marine park.

Highly recommend Ocean Explorers for the dive shop. They do a great shark dive! If you rent any equipment, be aware their rentals are set up in the metric system. I went in August and had great weather. I stayed at the Atrium Beach Resort, which has condo-style accommodations. Also highly recommend. You can walk to the dive shop! There's a supermarket around the corner from the Atrium and lots of eateries and a wonderful French cafe and bakery within walking distance. I did not have a car for the week, however, I rented a car for one day to explore the French side of the island. I really enjoyed the trip!

Thanks for all the input
Dove with two different operators;
Dive Saint Martin .... Dangerous folks, stay away!

SXM Divers .. Great bunch of guys, had a blast, they know what they are doing, small operation, really focused on the customer

Going in January. May I ask why you chose those 2 LDS? Ocean Explorers seem more prominent on the web...

Going in January. May I ask why you chose those 2 LDS? Ocean Explorers seem more prominent on the web...
the original owners of ocean explorers were great and the shop still carries on a very good reputation. good location as well in simpson bay.

dive adventures is also a great shop in the same area. you can book them through aquamania.

Updates and additional information please!
My husband and I will be joining another couple ( non-divers) in Saint Martin for a week, the end of October. Yes, I know, Saba is much better for diving. I have Sea Saba booked for 5 days.
We are staying on Oyster Bay. It looks like the closest dive companies would be Phillipsburg? Looking at the nature foundation site, that would be Dive Saint Martin.
Dive Saint Martin .... Dangerous folks, stay away
How so?
What other companies would be in the area, or not too far of a drive.
We plan on diving most mornings, possibly an afternoon or night.
Besides dive company, I would like advice on the following :
We will be renting a car. Suggestions for companies near the ferry/airport
Any advice for excursions with the non-divers?
Grocery stores. I believe there’s one not too far from the airport/ferry?
Restaurants, One or two nice, and we really like the hole in the wall mom & pop places ( i’m not sure if Saint Martin has those anymore, it’s been years since I was there.)

I spent a week in St. Martin in January. Oyster Bay resort, in fact. PM me for details (though memory is fading).
I also did a day trip to Saba where I did 3 dives. I wasn't as impressed with Saba, and had a decent time diving in SXM. For what it's worth.
Nick

Thanks for all the input
Dove with two different operators;
Dive Saint Martin .... Dangerous folks, stay away!

SXM Divers .. Great bunch of guys, had a blast, they know what they are doing, small operation, really focused on the customer
@Murphy in NC , can you elaborate on this? I’m going to St. Martin on a cruise in December and if I need to avoid Dive Saint Martin, please tell me why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom