Sailing Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in a family of 5 who is trying to plan a liveaboard trip. My mom, myself, and my sister all dive and my youngest brother will be in the next year. My father;however, went through all the class work and pool sessions but couldn't do it when he got to open water. Since he is the one who is working and supporting the family we don't like to plan vacations around things that he doesn't enjoy or participate in. We talked about doing a liveaboard trip with him and maybe having him give it another try in open water and get the cert. He said he would be up for it but only if there would be something to fall back on if he didn't want to do the diving. He really enjoys sailing and said he would be all for a trip where he might be able to learn about sailing and help out the crew sailing a catamaran or whatever sailing liveaboard there may be. My question is, are there any liveaboards out there that will let their passengers help out with the sailing or maybe have the crew instruct them in how to sail the boat?

Blackbeards out of Nassau would probably allow your dad to do some sailing but don't expect a sailing course on a dive boat :)

sailjuliet.com

Liveaboard from Miami into the Bahamas and they expect you to help :) Only 12 divers (or passengers) and a small crew. She's a 3 masted schooner.

Cuan Law would be ideal for your family. They only offer 3 dives a day, which is often enough for many people, plus they offer a bunch on non-diving activities as well, including sailing the boat. The food is reported to be quite good too.

In fact. I'm planning on taking my family on her in 2007. My wife doesn't dive, but has expressed a little interest in trying. My son has no interest in diving, but my daughter is really looking forward to getting certified and that looks like the ideal place to do the open water dives. As for me, I could do the 5 dives a day typically offered on most liveaboards, but the Cuan Law would be a much better choice than going on a cruise on a big POD carrier.

In addition to Cuan Law, a private charter in the BVI's might be a good choice. There are a number of yacht brokers like here: http://www.carefreecharters.com/

They will customize your charter to your needs and some will do sailing lessons.

Neil

ScubaKimmie:
Blackbeards out of Nassau would probably allow your dad to do some sailing but don't expect a sailing course on a dive boat :)

Did blackbeards in April. Amazing trip, crew was A1, food was amazing and so was the diving. We only got in 1 day of sailing....light winds calm seas = great diving conditions.

That being said there is a lot of other things to do including fishing & snokeling,

MsParamedic:
I contacted Sail Juliet and they are booked up through the summer with "dive shop" charters....

We're going in a month and we had to reserve back in October. They fill up very early. Sorry you couldn't get in with them.

Might contact the Liahona:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=137482

I think I saw the boat at the Indians in the BVI's last week, it seemed like the passengers were helping when she sailed past us later.

As the person who chartered the Liahona, I can tell you THIS is the way to go! This trip was the third crewed charter I've arranged and each one was as perfect as could be. Each crew was wonderfully accomodating -- you want to sail? -- we'll let you sail. You want to dive? -- we'll let you dive. You want to lounge and drink? -- go for it!

The Liahona is set up for 8 people max (4 staterooms set up for couples) but there are so many boats available in the Virgins Islands (US and BVI) that you should be able to find one that is just right for you.

I've used Virgin Island Sailing to set up all three of the trips and I would NOT go with another outfit. (Note, I'm not saying they are the best -- I am saying the service has been fabulous and I don't know how things could have worked out better. Gail Hartman is the broker I've worked with and she is also a diver.)

Yup, a crewed charter is your answer. And, BTW, take a look at the link the previous poster provided which is our trip report of the trip on the Liahona.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom