Sail Rock- Koh Tao or Koh Phangan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasmac

New
Reaction score
Work will bring me to the Koh Samui area in August (yeah!) and I thought I'd try to get a dive or two in, even though it's not the best time of year.

I assumed I'd head to Koh Tao but I'm most interested in diving Sail Rock and I'm finding the Koh Tao dive centre websites a little cagey about trips to Sail Rock. It looks like Koh Tao's focus is on beginners, which I completely respect but it's what I'm after.

It's looking easier and cheaper to access Sail Rock from Koh Phangan. Is this correct? I'm also happy to stay on Koh Samui if that's a better option.

Thanks in advance.

Just got back from Koh Tao, from there it will took over 2 hours to get to Sail Rock.

Unfortunately the visibility on the day I went was really bad, so I had been looking to dive there again in the future if I go to Samui, looks like Samui had shorter transfer time to Sail Rock, from the online itinerary, it only took 1 hour by boat.

Attachments

• E3F786C7-B576-46CA-8E7A-5F082595EFFE.jpeg
    E3F786C7-B576-46CA-8E7A-5F082595EFFE.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 89
I went from Koh Tao, the boat i use to dive from do monday and friday 2 x Sail rock + evening dive at Shark island.

I Prefer Koh Tao over Koh Phangan mostly for the other diving and lower prises.

Just got back from Koh Tao, from there it will took over 2 hours to get to Sail Rock.

Unfortunately the visibility on the day I went was really bad, so I had been looking to dive there again in the future if I go to Samui, looks like Samui had shorter transfer time to Sail Rock, from the online itinerary, it only took 1 hour by boat.

If I remember correctly the ride was just over one hour from Tao, or close to one hour and a half. But it depends so much on what boat you ride, if you go with a speedboat its more than double the speed.

Thanks heaps, decision made: I'll go to Phangan for a few days and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom