Safety on Similan Liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
So I have narrowed it down to diving on a 4 day Similan liveaboard in Dec.
I am undecided which boat to choose.

I'm wondering if there are bad companies to stay away from. Safety considerations are dive planning and sea worthiness of the boat. I will have my own gear except for tanks.

I also would like a boat with Nitrox, DIN valves on tanks, ensuite cabins and one that will allow for up to 40 meter dives (but staying in NDL).

Also ideas on a hotel in Phuket for one night. Med. price range is preferred.

Thanks.

overexposed2X:
So I have narrowed it down to diving on a 4 day Similan liveaboard in Dec.
I am undecided which boat to choose.

I'm wondering if there are bad companies to stay away from. Safety considerations are dive planning and sea worthiness of the boat. I will have my own gear except for tanks.

I also would like a boat with Nitrox, DIN valves on tanks, ensuite cabins and one that will allow for up to 40 meter dives (but staying in NDL).

Also ideas on a hotel in Phuket for one night. Med. price range is preferred.

Thanks.

A lot of boats to choose from. I think if you are going for a boat with en suite bathrooms, nitrox etc, then you won't find a bad one. Safety is generally very high on all boats, though as a local agent, I would love to hear otherwise...

Boats such as Colona VI, Mermaid II, Mermaid 1, Queen Scuba will meet your needs. Prices vary from 640 - 990 U$ for these boats. Note that tanks are normally INT, not DIN, so you need an adaptor (these can be rented locally no problem)

Hotels..Well as you can imagine, Phuket has hundreds to choose from. I normally recommend the Kata/Karon area as it's quiet and not far from us. Patong if you need nightlife and McDonalds...

Wishing you happy travels

DORSETBOY:
urgh, I'd rather chew on my own arm! :eyebrow:
Would you like to supersize that arm? :D

DORSETBOY:
urgh, I'd rather chew on my own arm! QUOTE]

OOh, so harsh..I had a nice big mac last night, not supersized. What a hypocrite I am..I remember when I was 19 I once joined a protest outside McDonalds handing out leaflets to people explaining all the nasty things they did. Some of us got arrested, but I melted into the crowd just like cheese on a burger, yum yum.

HI Overexposed2X,

for what its worth:
We were there a couple of years back and found that in terms of safety, language might also be an issue...most of the staff and many of the guests on our boat were French speaking and dive breifings were in French and English. Some of the guests were neither native French or English speakers and so it was important to take time to established shared understandings of what we were doing (as in any context, but particularly important when your life is at stake)

We had not anticipated any difficulties and didn't encounter any major ones, but quickly learned to interject with questions when when the breifing became peppered with bits of 3 (or more) languages...a little more effort required, but well worth it...the 'dumb' question was the one unasked.

Cheers.

Keep your flames to yourselves....but the only company I know of with a high diver death rate is Peter Hughes group. Regardless of the reasons divers seem to die around his boats, they did....do.....whatever

well I can't recommend any bad boats but I'd agree with Sunrise about the boats they recommend. Check out www.queenscuba.com for more info on queen scuba. I know they do good, informative & amusing dive briefs before every dive, and have Nitrox onboard aswell. Early December is a good time for a trip - you probably want to try and avoid the Christmas rush. The Similans can get a little busier around Christmas & New Year.
Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom