Safety Notice - Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solodyver

Reaction score
I found this while doing some research on the Dolphin SCR

http://www.diveweb.com/commdive/features/safety.html

Safety Notices - Rebreathers

Draeger Rebreather Divers Must Perform Flow Checks
Owners of the Draeger Atlantis and Dolphin rebreathers are advised that it is essential to test the flow rate of your rebreather prior to every dive. It has come to the attention of Draeger Safety Inc. that some divers may not be performing these tests. Failure to do so could lead to serious injury or even death.
You cannot tell whether the rebreather is flowing an adequate volume of gas by merely looking at the bag to see if it is inflating. Listening to the gas flow into the rebreather will not give you a reliable check either. Pushing down on the breathing bag and watching the bag inflate is not an adequate test.
There are two methods of testing the flow rate of your system. One way to test is to use the test apparatus supplied with the Atlantis I. The bag is connected to the automatic bypass valve and the time to fill the bag is measured. The time to fill the bag is dependent on the metered orifice (dosage device) selected. See your owner's manual for complete details on this test.
The new test apparatus supplied with the Dolphin is a flow meter that provides an immediate visual check of the correct flow rate for each dosage device. This meter is also connected to the opening of the automatic bypass valve for testing. The gas is turned on and readings are instantaneous.
If your dosage device is not flowing the correct amount of gas this can cause you to pass out underwater due to a lack of oxygen.
Even if your rebreather has been serviced by an authorized factory technician you must perform this test prior to every dive.
The tests are outlined in the owner's manual provided with your rebreather. If you do not know how to perform these tests, or if you have lost your manual, please contact your Draeger dealer immediately.

Better still fit the PO2 meter these units (and most SCR's) are sadly laking from the manufacturers

Checking the flow before you dive is not enough, you need to KNOW its still flowing enough PO2 during the dive as the Dolphins have a habit of not doing so

Still in kilt country?

CMF SCR users might also want to consider a filter. Gordon Smith installs them on his KISS mCCR (but then again he installs tripple, taotally independent O2 sensors, too), which relies partly on CMF.

With all the regs and tests for CE certification, I wonder how they could have missed such an important part of any RB? Do any of those desk jockeys dive? Or did they just walk up to Dräger and APD, looked what they had, and decided those RBs to be what you need to pass?

Ryan, thanks for reposting the warning. Let's hope the user will listen.

Go easy on the beer, mole, you don't want to chase the wrong skirt. :wink:

People who skip preflight checks are prospective candidates for the Darwin award.

Funnily enough in the office today 5 folks are wearing kilts and they are all American!!!!:D

Scotland beat the US at Rugby and that was the bet!!!

CE for SCR actually doesn't require a PO2 sensor :wacko: but does require the manufactursr to prove that they dont need one. Not sure how thay did that cos both the Dolphin and Azimuth in use clearly suffer from dropping PO2's

I've terminated 2 dives this year cos a buddy on a Dolphoin (modified admitedly) has dropped to 0.17 on DECENT!!! due to blocked jets and I terminated another dve cos a buddy on an Azimuth had his loop hose fall off his DSV at 36m (that connection is supposed to be tested as part of CE) but all production Azimuths dont meet the CE requirement on hose attachment

Remember ny device CE'ed in Italy was probably more certified by coffee and backhanders than actual testing. Can say that the Inspiration does meet or exceed all CE tests though, something I'd like to see a lot of the other breathers get so we can buy them here

Back
Top Bottom