safe to dive on day of arrival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
Is it safe to dive the day that I fly into a destination? I know that I should off gas at least 24 hours after diving before flying but do not remember if it is okay to dive the day I fly in. Thanks, Rufous.

As far as pressure, sure you can dive. Going from the high altitude of a pressurized jet to sea level does not increase the risk of DCS. It's the other way around that'll get ya.

As far as what MoonWrasse said, yes, fatigue (jet lag) and dehydration can takes its toll, and it's not good to dive dehydrated and tired.

That said, I've done it. I drink tons of water during the flight and try to sleep as much as I can.

Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case that it would be safe to dive. It makes sense though about the dehydration and tiredness. We (my wife and I) will plan to drink plenty of water and sleep as much as we can on the flight in. Rufous.

Where are you going? From Walla Walla just about anywhere is good! :D

Rick, we are thinking about going to Roatan and staying at the Reef House Resort. We have not contacted them yet to check about availability so I am not sure if they can accomodate us when we are hoping to go (mid April). I love Walla Walla but the diving here is as you know non-existant. Rufous.

I know it's a long drive...and I'm probably preaching to the choir...but Puget Sound has some great diving.

(Not that you shouldn't go to Roatan, of course!)

Let me know if you can ever make it over for a weekend...I'm sure there are lots of folks over here that would be happy to show you some dives.

Happy Travels.

Huskychemist, thanks for the offer and suggestion. We have not yet done a cold water dive but do hope to dive Puguet Sound this summer. We will likely go with another fellow who offered to take us out but if that falls through for whatever reason I will give you a shout and see if we can get together. Brian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom