safe and cheap way to get to the Keys reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Plan on picking up some PWC but can probably only afford one 3 seater at this time. Launching from Pennekamp or Harris park. Me and 4 teens (12 year olds and 15 year olds). If seas only 1-2 feet, would it be okay to pull a tube with the little ones on it to get to reefs? (Molasses, dry Rocks, etc.). Is this breaking any laws that you know of? My kids can hang on for about 15-20 minutes in Tampa Bay for the most part. We plan on snorkeling only, no SCUBA. Thoughts? Are seas usually calm during mini lobster season (when we are going). Thanks! And also, would it be better to tube for fun (fast, not slow like to the reefs), in the bay? Is it any deeper there, less corals to worry about hitting?

I highly doubt fwc will be ok with you towing kids behind a jet ski into the Atlantic ocean. The reef is five miles out and thats a long time for the young ins to be in the water as well. I'm as crazy as anyone and if it was you and your buddy id say go for it but with kids i lean to no.

I would just make sure the kids had life insurance.

Weather changes fast this time of year in the keys, bite the bullet and pay for the boat ride.

You're just kidding us, right?

I am pretty sure that persons being towed (skiing/tubing) are counted against the vessel’s capacity plate. So if you have a three person ski I would limit the number of people to 3 per trip.

skip buying the PWC, download the coupon online and the snorkel boat out of Pennekamp will only cost you about $40 each.

I seriously doubt you would make it past the first set of channel markers outside of the Mangroves before you realized that what you were doing was sort of nuts, and you turned around. I have taken groups of kids on the snorkel boat that rha600 speaks of. Take his advice. Skip the PWC and enjoy what the Keys truly has to offer. You can ride a PWC on any lake practically anywhere in the world. I would think the shared experience of snorkeling the reefs in the keys would far outweigh zipping around on a water roach, and dragging your kids around on a rubber tube. Probably significantly safer, too. Be sure to wear sunscreen (reef safe if you can get it) and drink lots of water. Have a great trip!

Holy crap, craziest post I've seen on SB EVER...this isn't April 1, is it?

I used to be a Coast Guard Boarding Officer. However many people you're towing on the tube, count against the capacity of the towing vessel. Bad idea all around. Just rent a real boat when you get to the keys, or better yet, go on a snorkeling charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom