Safari and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife (snorkeler only), another couple (both divers) and I have gone on several fairly big diving trips together in recent years. On the most recent, we met diver from the Netherlands who said he had done a combination photography safari and dive trip in Africa. It sounded great--we had all wanted to do a photography safari, and we had no idea that the diving in that area was as good as he said. He talked specifically about Mozambique and Zanzibar.

I did a quick search of this forum, and I frankly did not find a lot of useful information.

Can anyone make some suggestions about this sort of thing--anything at all?

I have done Safari in Tanzania & diving in Zanzibar (Mnemba Island) in 2013. Safari was great, but diving is meh. It’s better than Caribbean, but nothing like Palau or Indonesia. They pretty much fished out the area. If you do still want to check it out, I recommend Spanish Dancer Divers at Nungwi, Diving Zanzibar (Nungwi) | Spanish Dancer Divers - PADI 5 Star

Also I went back there again on 2014 to hike up Kilimanjaro & diving in the next island Pemba. The hiking was fantastic, but the diving was the same deal, fished out.

did you do a safari in the crater dan?

Yep. Amazing!

Besides the usual suspects, we saw 2 black rhinoceros in Ngorongoro Crater. The weather was nice & cool. These were some of the animals we saw & took with my cheap camera. I recommend anyone to get a good camera that can zoom in well from a distance.

io421.JPG
inM0025095.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
inIMG_4631.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
io402.JPG
io426.JPG
fqM0025035.JPG
io381.JPG

Last edited:
I've heard lots of good things about mozambique diving.

My friend did her DM there in June last year, during her 800m swim in the sea, concentrating on making the time, a calf whale decided to play - everyone on the boat saw it breech - she just felt the waves wash over her.

From her, the Summer months (northern hemisphere) are great for Manta's and whales). We were going to do it and safari ourselves this year, but life got in the way.

I’ve done both Kruger/Tofu and Tanzania/Zanzibar/Pemba. Both are great but different. Kruger is not as spectacular as safaris in Tanzania. Tofu is great for mantas and whalesharks, but lacks a little in diversity and the coral isn’t very developed. I found Pemba very nice with lots of fish, crystal clear water and big areas of unspoilt reef that seemingly escaped the 1998 El Nino (it was in 2006). Some dynamite fishing in the past.

My son and I just returned from South Africa. We did a safari in Kruger National Park and then headed down to Durban to dive with Agulhas House. We saw congregation of ragged-tooth sharks, oceanic black tip sharks, dolphins, giant eels, among others. The staff at Agulhas is top-notch, the diving is exciting (launch off the beach in zodiacs...hang on!) and they feed you three meals a day. Brett is the hands-on owner at Aguhlas and at this time of year you can head down the coast to do the Sardine Run! He can also book a safari for you, although we booked ours separately. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom