Sad Ending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you were able to find him. Surprised the sonar did not locate him. Was he lodged in some bushes or reeds that obscured view? Is that pond very shallow, we do not consider drysuits to be pfd's so always wear one unless on air.

.......we do not consider drysuits to be pfd's so always wear one unless on air.

I am having a tough time understanding this statement. Maybe I missed something in the article (I don't think my iPhone displayed the whole article) but perhaps you could explain the meaning/intent of the quoted text.

couple of the pictures are the search/recovery team doing the "walk and feel with your feet" strategy, all in a line with a rope to shore. All in exposure suits, and nothinng else...

You folks that do this are something special. Thanks for what you do!

Last edited:
couple of the pictures are the search/recovery team doing the "walk and feel with your feet" strategy, all in a line with a rope to shore. All in exposure suites, and nothinng else...

You folks that do this are something special. Thanks for what you do!

Thanks a lot for this. And I agree they are a breed above. I could not do what they do.

In the photo accompanying the article a searcher is wearing an drysuit but no tanks and no PFD, and he's waist deep in the pond. With no apparent source of flotation if he were to step into a hole it seems a bit risky.

Although it would be highly likely that you would have sufficient trapped air to cause the drysuit to float (unless you bled the suit in the water), we always require PFD with drysuit unless totally prepared for diving (BC, Tank, Drysuit hose attached). Better to error on the side of caution.

Glad the outcome. Everyone on the Team Went Home!

Dan

Glad everyone else thinks a pfd is required. If someone drops into a hole or is caught and twisted you can go underwater. You might go down and the person next to you may have a tight suit and can't reach down to grab you.
We had a call last week, car into the river (flood plane thank goodness) at high speed after bouncing off a tree. Our side scan sonar couldn't spot it as there were a lot of limbs/brush blocking it. Did a search pattern in the most likely area but didn't find it. It was closer to the bank, right in the brush. The tree stopped it after taking off the passenger wheel/side and it went straight down. We had to run a boat operation as we couldn't reach it from the bank. I went up to see it after we towed it out. A sheriff asked my how much viz was down there, as it was only 20'. I told him to close his eyes .......waited and then told him to put his hands over them. He seemed to get it, lol.

Good point about the PFDs, had we brought some we would have worn them. Next time we will.
Sometimes you have to make do. At no time were any of us further than 30 ft from the shore. and the line was there for safety as well as to make sure we didnt miss anything.
its a man made lake, it was very shallow and there is no current. The Vis was terrible as usual.
Water was 48 degrees.
He was in an open culvert running under the bridge.
At least the side scan showed us where not to look.

Sounds like the sonar worked well to eliminate search areas. No sense in getting in the water until you have a high probability. We require pfd's on anyone (non divers) within 3' of the waters edge or if it is a steep bank like our levees where you could trip and fall. We put them on tow truck personnel if they need to go down by the water. About 10 of them are always on our response rig along with helmets. Many shore personnel bring their own as they have them configured with cool stuff like cup holders, kidding.

Back
Top Bottom