Sad day ... need recommendations on replacement video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I think my SOLA 4K's have bit the preverbal dust ... after many years of awesome output, they now are exhibiting shady charging and not optimal output times...

So, what is a decent replacement?

I rarely kick them up to the full 4K setting, usually 2K and under

Requirements:
-YS/Balljoint mount
-Wide even coverage
-Doesn't break the bank
-2-3K lumen output
-At least 1hr burn time on full output

Cool to have
-Florescence
-Narrow/Spot mode
-Interchangeable batteries (or external battery source .. have several 12V and 3.7V canisters)

Thanks

_R

Batteries probably just shot?
Check with L&M. They may have a complete 'refurb' for a price much lower than replacement (but not cheap).

FWIW, I opened up my Sola 1200 when the run time started getting short. There was an LG 2000mA battery in there. For a couple more $$ they could easily have put in a superior (Panasonic, Samsung) 3500mA. But then the light would have lasted longer before needing replacement or new batteries......:stirpot: at $150 for $10 worth of battery and 10 minutes of work. :poke:

The Kraken Hydra 5000 would fit the bill. They have two button operation (one for mode, one for power), 110 flood, spot, red and UV modes. Battery power colored light indicator. They have a sealed head and separate battery pack (you can buy extras to swap for multiple dives). They have a cool remote control option, so that you can control them from your handle. Comes with YS, Ball mounts, spares in carrying case.
We have the Kraken Hydra 5000 on sale for $599 - $100 off.
Same features with the Kraken Hydra 3500 for $399, $120 off.

The newest Kraken Solar Flare Mini's are 8000 lumens and flood only, but nice, wide vidoe lights at a reasonable $899 price.

Compared to your old lights, they will be brighter, wider and a bit cooler color temp.

We have them all in stock.

What Jack said.....got the Kraken 5k set up and it is incredible! And the remote....SWEET! May seem expensive but if you divided cost by dives or years of service not so much.

Take a look at Big Blue lights. Great quality. A number of folks on SB use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom