Sad day for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kilroy63

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Copied from facebook
Dear Carib Inn friends and family,

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to tell you that Bruce has passed away from the injuries he suffered earlier this week. He fell while doing a project and suffered a major head injury.
We are all devastated beyond belief and I know so many of you will feel the same. He was so special to so many and we grieve this monumental loss.
I have every intention of keeping his spirit alive by running the Carib Inn to continue its success and make him proud.
Thank you for your outpouring of love and support this past week it's meant so much to me, our family, and the staff.

Lynne

Dang. One of the best. RIP.

Bruce cut me a great deal on an Atomic regulator back in the day and we have visited his shop many times for this and that over the past 20 years with him often times chatting us up while we were there. My dive flag flys at half staff today. RIP my man.

Only met him once when my reg started free flowing and Buddy Dive didn`t want to touch it because it was an Atomic Titanium. They recommended Bruce.(this was before I knew anything about 2nd stages) I took it to him and he said no problem and we talked for a bit. Seemed real down to earth and caring. RIP Bruce!

I loved him, he helped me several times. He had the coolest shop. Most of the time, he didn't charge me anything to tune a reg, but I made sure to buy something from his shop. As a matter of fact, my wife is wearing a shirt I bought at his shop today at the lake.

I actually looked at staying there, but it was really popular and hard to get into. Testament to him.

Bruce was always a class act. I am so sorry for your loss. He will be missed.

My first and only encounter with Bruce was a year ago. I had bubbles coming out of my recently serviced primary at the beginning of a month long trip. Dive Friends sent me over to his shop where he dropped everything, took it apart and re-seated an improperly positioned "O"-ring. He handed it back and told me not to bother getting it serviced for another five years while refusing to accept any compensation. I had to beg him to allow me to at least purchase a modest "counter" item for my wife. Class act for sure. The world is a lesser place without him.

Agree with others sentiments. He was a kind, competent, honest businessman. We always brought stuff there to be fixed. He fixed what he could, often not charging and always gave you an honest opinion on what your options were. Never a sales pitch.

Two years ago while in Bonaire, we paid Bruce a couple of visits. While exiting Lighthouse reef, the waves were strong and my friends slipped on the sand and fell sideways. After being dragged around for a short time, her inflation hose was sheared off from her bcd. We took it to Bruce where he repaired it in 10 minutes. He only charged for the part which was $12. Another time, my husband's mask strap tore. We again visited Bruce to buy a new strap. He salvaged one from an old mask and refused to charge us. We bought a couple of T shirts and a coffee cup to offset any guilt. I remember him saying "If your gear is working properly, don't get it serviced! It only makes things worse". He was a wonderful gem on the island. Very sad to hear of his passing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom