Saba, Statia, St Kitts, photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello

I managed to get a few of the images from my recent trip on the Caribbean Explorer II. I can't insert the thumbnails so please take a look. BTW, the abstract shot of the cup coral is NOT a photoshop Job! :wink:

here is a very brief comparison between diving in this part of the Caribbean and the western Pacific. please remember this was my first diving experience in this part of the world, therefore I have no idea haw the diving in this region compares to other parts of the Caribbean.

anyway, the diving is quite different from what I am used to here in the Western Pacific where we have a LOT of hard coral and not as much large invertebrate life, The Northeastern Caribbean in contrast, has less hard coral, but a LOT more invertebrate life such as sponges, Hydroids, and sea fans. and hence a LOT of great colorful reef scenes and wonderful backgrounds for macro shooting. The colorful soft coral found in the Pacific was not present though. the sea fans are smaller but the sponges are bigger and more colorful.

My second observation was the lack of fish species found on the reefs ( mainly Wrasses and Butterfly fish ). this was expected as there are somewhere near 30% more species found in the tropical pacific.

Turtles appeared on almost every dive as well as lots of sting rays. with the exception of a couple of nurse sharks, I did not see any other types on the trip.

Saba by far was the highlight of the diving adventure, these were some points where the fan coral was so thick that I found it difficult to get to the reef. Great for wide angle though.

Over All, The beauty of the diving, Saba in particular was much more than I expected.

The Crew on the Caribbean Explorer II did a great job and the service was top notch.

The one major drawback to diving in the area is getting there. Severe weight restrictions on the final leg of the journey not to mention having what little we could bring bumped off the flight will weigh heavily into my decision to return.

Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the trip report and welcome home.

Wow! Really nice. 0826- were you doing rear curtain synch?

I've heard good things about the Caribbean Explorer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom