SA Diving in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dakardiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We are planning a vacation in South Africa with two key goals - see wildlife (big animals and birds) and dive. (Okay, there's a third goal to see Cape of Good Hope and penguins too). There are 9 of us traveling (incl 4 teens). Our travel plans are limited to 3-4 weeks in mid-July and August. Well, it's also limited by my available credit balance. So my questions are:

1. Is Sadwana Bay good for that time of year? (i.e. what kind of sealife/conditions can we expect?)

2. Sadwana Bay seems to have the benefit of Hluhluwe park nearby, but is the diving more North in Moz significantly better that time of year?

3. My youngest son will only be snorkeling - will Sadwana Bay have places to do both diving and snorkeling? He's not a particularly strong swimmer.

We are also more of the camping hut or lodge type travelers rather than luxury hotel.

Many thanks for any advice or guidance.

Cheers,
Bruce

Not too sure on Sodwana that time of year.

Another option - Kruger Park followed by Tofo in Mozambique. Why Tofo ? Whalesharks, Mantas etc plus there are other activities there like quad bike tours, horse riding, snorkel trips to see Whalesharks to keep the teens occupied. Places like Guinjata are OK but isloated and teens might get bored.

Inhambane Accommodation (Guinjata, Tofo and Barra) with Mozambique Travel Service

How do you plan to get around? Fly or car hire.

As Andy say, Tofo is a great expereince, also for non divers as they can snorkel with whalesharks, pretty much guaranteed... Kruger park is inmo one of the best 'family' parks in Africa. It is fairly easy to see the big fives if you spend a couple of days there (with a guide). The park is very well organized and has a good infrastructure for lunch breaks etc. If your time is limited, it might however be hard to combine with the Cape of Good Hope, but if you want wild life experiences, Kruger and Tofo is a hard to beat combination.

good luck

Attachments

• narfjarranclean.jpg
    narfjarranclean.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi Bruce
I am a diver and tour operator in South africa I would stronly suggest you dive in Mozambique the most popular and best spot in Mozambique is Guinjata bay have a look at Mozambique fishing and diving Resorts,dive at Guinjata Bay,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Promene Lodge,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Indingo Bay,Matembo Island,Mejumbe Island,Pemba Resrt,Ponta Malomi
As far as wild life viewing is concerned there are many good destinations in both Mozambique and South Africa have a look at Top tours AfricaThe most comprehensive and exciting range of Tours and Safaris in Africa tour Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands including tours to Mauritius,Zanzibar,Madagascar and the Seychelles, Melody ocean cruises
Allow me to give give you a quote on your trip I am sure you will be amazed how cheap it will work out please send me a mail john@guinjatabay.co.za

Andy, Christian, Jolo, thanks for the advice. Right now we're a little in limbo as all the flights to SA are booked during our vacation time. A bit of a surprise since we thought July/Aug was the off season. We're still trying though. I don't know if my Sister can get vacation if we go earlier, but is there any diving/animal park benefit to going in June rather than July?

We like the idea of Tofo and whalesharks, and I'm curious to learn more about Guinjata. As for driving verses flying, we haven't really settled on which - I guess it's time verses money. If we drive, how are the roads between Pretoria and Moz, and can you take rental cars out of SA into Moz?

Jolo, I'll send you some 'must sees' we'd like to visit and see what you can come up with. My sister and her family prefers to stay longer in diving/safari areas and skip Capetown. Thus we would like to continue on to Capetown after they return to California.

Many thanks,
Bruce

Hi Bruce

Roads from Pretoria to the border (Komatiepoort) are excelent, you can comfortably travel at 120 Km/hr.

Komatiepoort to Maputo - also good.

Maputo to Inhambane - the road is good but travelling is slow as there is a village every 10 Km or so and you have to slow down - don't expect to do an average of more than 80 Km/hr or less. This leg will take you at least 8 hrs to do the 450 Km. There is only one bad section of road on this leg, for approximately 75 Km North of Xai Xai.

We usually stay overnight at a place called Casa Lisa about 50Km North of Maputo.

Do not ever plan on driving at night in Mozambique.

Not to sure on the car rental thing though.

I would definitely want to spend the first part of my trip in Kruger / Moz. Try to allow 7 or more diving days in Moz just in case 1 or 2 get wiped out owing to bad seas. My minimum stay there would be 9 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom