S95 first pics – Malapascua, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmpaq20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After contemplating my 2nd underwater setup for over a year I finally made the leap
I purchased the following setup over Christmas from the good folks at reef photo:

Canon Powershot S95 Digital Camera
FIX Housing for Canon S95
Inon D-2000 Strobe
FIX UWL-04 Fisheye WAL
ULCS Base with Single Ball Arm and (2) 5" arms

Misc:
S95 Washabi 1300 mAH extra battery
Panasonic 8 GB Class 10 SDHC
Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries
Kata Owl backpack

My first camera was a P&S that just took macro with no external strobe. This was my first experience into shooting with a camera with manual and RAW settings

I received the camera system too late to conduct any pool trials so I decided to just learn as I went diving. I spent the first 2 days without the WAL just to get used to the camera. Started shooting Nemrod’s AV setup, the first dive my pictures were crap. The second dive I started to feel comfortable with his setup and the pictures improved greatly. It is a simple setup to shoot pics.

On the third day I installed the WAL and began to shoot straight manual, after 2 dives my pictures started to look good. Since this is my first WAL I was simply blown away by what I could do with it. It just opened a new world to me. I still like my macro but the WAL is just amazing as to what you can do with it. Depending on the dive site, I would install the WAL before I got onto the boat, no caddy for this boy!

On battery life, shooting with a minimal flash and using the Washabi battery exclusively I was able to get 2-3 dives shooting ~200 pics in total before a recharge. Which as jut okay. The Sanyo Eneloops for the D-2000 strobe could go 4 days easy, these are super nice batteries.

Thanks to everyone on this board for your reviews/questions as I soaked them up like a sponge.
A very special thanks to Nemrod (Jim) and Gilligan (Jim) who helped me with this purchase, you guys are awesome!

You be the judge, here are a few pics, The remaining can be found on my website Dave Paquin's Photos look at the featured gallery on the top

Constructive criticism is more than welcome

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• ws (Small).jPG
    ws (Small).jPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 180
  • jf (Medium).JPG
    jf (Medium).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 229
  • DPP_0017 (Medium).JPG
    DPP_0017 (Medium).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 182
more pics

Attachments

• DPP_0016 (Medium).JPG
    DPP_0016 (Medium).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DPP_0010 (Medium).JPG
    DPP_0010 (Medium).JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DPP_0005 (Medium).JPG
    DPP_0005 (Medium).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DPP_0002 (Medium).JPG
    DPP_0002 (Medium).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 141
Good 3 pics in your post ---will go to the link in a little while..One Q. though, where did you get the 1300 battery??...I have only 2 1000's with mine, 1 Canon battery that came with camera & the other an after market ordered @ same time as camera...Thanks for your help.....

EDIT: do you plan on getting a macro lens for your rig???....

Started shooting Nemrod’s AV setup, the first dive my pictures were crap. The second dive I started to feel comfortable with his setup and the pictures improved greatly. It is a simple setup to shoot pics.

Well, the reason I like the Av set up (settings I an others have specified) as a starting point or as a general purpose setting(s) is that it is SIMPLE and EASY and it does work. You can do pretty much anything with the Av set up as with Manual by using the front ring control set to +/- exposure control and use the rear dial to set your desired aperture.

Of course, Manual control also works very well and with the dual controls it is so easy it is almost a crime not to shoot the little S series camera in full Manual.

Your shots look like you have a good eye for wide angle, fun isn't it, shhhh, don't tell the macro guys there is more than some tiny little snail things to shoot down there, ha! Glad you had fun.

James

63.gif

Great job for your first time out, especially with little or no practice.

I especially like the Maroon Clown

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom