S600 comparison to ATX 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I own a bunch of S600's all on MK25's and have really liked them so far. I've got a cold weather trip coming up in January, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a pair of Apeks ATX 200's. I decided that these new regs should have a few dives (well o.k. several) on them before this trip. This is by no means scientific. The Apeks have been used on 10 consecutive dives with a max depth of 117 fsw. The S600's have been used for in excess of 100 dives so far this year with a max depth of 135' fsw. Both sets have been used on air and Ean 30% and 32%. Average water temp was around 50 F. Average air temp for the APex was around 50 degrees. So here are my thoughts and opinions about these two regs.

First of all my inititial impression is that ATX 200's breath easier than the S600's. This was true at all depths. This is completely subjective, so I went back and tried the S600's tonight and now feel that the ATX 200's are only slightly better.
I would say that the performance wise in the enviroment that I was using them, they were both close in performance capabilities.

The Apeks weakness though is that it is not the driest reg I've ever used. Finning along in a horzontal position and looking down my body behind me, let in enough water to make me cough on a number of occasions. Going head down in any manner also elicited the same problem.

The S600's don't respond that way at all. For the record I find these regs to be very dry and very breathable. My drysuit and mask are far wetter than any of these regs.

Were I to have to have to choose between the two brands I would opt for the Scuba Pro's and get the cold weather kit.

Just my $.02

overexposed2X:
Were I to have to have to choose between the two brands I would opt for the Scuba Pro's and get the cold weather kit.
Just my $.02

Good choose (both of them are ok). But, there is no cold weather kit for the Scubapro MK25 AFAIK...The MK25 is a reg ready for moderate cold waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom