S&S 20mm lens settings... Dee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Finally got a 20mm lens and a viewfinder for my old MMIIEX... however, I have no idea how to use it yet. To cut down on wasted film I was hoping someone could give me some tips. I'm most curious about the aperture settings vs. subject distance. To get the correct depth of field do you HAVE to match the F stop to the distance listed on the lens's chart? Farther the object the larger the aperture can be, right? The higher F stops are not listed. If I'm shooting very close objects with strobes should these higher F-stops like (F16-22) be avoided with the lens? Due to the fact that the WAL gathers more light can I still trust the light meter on the camera or is there some technique to adjust? On the note of WAL light gathering, will TTL under expose? Should I shoot with manual strobe settings? In the past I have been very happy with S&S TTL.

Also, on a side note. I caught a look at the new MMIII yesterday. None of the MMII accessories will fit it. If I was looking to up grade to a new system (say digital) etc. does anyone know if there is a system or housing out there that can use the MMII accessories (lenses, strobes)? It would be nice to only have to upgrade the camera.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rich

rtavernetti once bubbled...
Finally got a 20mm lens and a viewfinder for my old MMIIEX... however, I have no idea how to use it yet. To cut down on wasted film I was hoping someone could give me some tips. I'm most curious about the aperture settings vs. subject distance. To get the correct depth of field do you HAVE to match the F stop to the distance listed on the lens's chart? Farther the object the larger the aperture can be, right? The higher F stops are not listed. If I'm shooting very close objects with strobes should these higher F-stops like (F16-22) be avoided with the lens? Due to the fact that the WAL gathers more light can I still trust the light meter on the camera or is there some technique to adjust? On the note of WAL light gathering, will TTL under expose? Should I shoot with manual strobe settings? In the past I have been very happy with S&S TTL.
To be honest, I learned by trial and error, not guidelines and charts. I chose my F/stop for the depth of field I needed and available light. Gee, My memory ain't what it used to be! For close up wide angle f/8-f16. For reef scenes and general wide angle beyond the stronbe's reach,f/5.6-f/8.

TTL was OK for macro but past 12-14" I used the manual strobe setting. But if you've been happy with it, try it and see what you think.
Also, on a side note. I caught a look at the new MMIII yesterday. None of the MMII accessories will fit it. If I was looking to up grade to a new system (say digital) etc. does anyone know if there is a system or housing out there that can use the MMII accessories (lenses, strobes)? It would be nice to only have to upgrade the camera.
At one time there was an adapter on the market to let you use the MMII bayonet lenses on the PT-OXOX housings. I haven't seen them advertised in awhile. As for your strobe, there are very few older strobes on the market that can handle the digital cameras pre-flash. S&S and Ikelite were the only two for quite awhile. I think the YS90DX was S&S's first digital strobe and for Ikelite it was the DS-50. If your strobes are before those, I'd say you'll have to have new ones. It will also depend on the digital camera you chose and which housing to go with it.

If you're seriously considering upgrading, I think the best thing to do is sell your old system completely and start from scratch. The lenses and strobes will be designed specifically for the cameras and housings you will be using.

Sweet, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. As for a new system I think I will wait a while because by next year everything will only be bigger and better.
Thanks
Rich:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom