Rx100 and Inons S2000 in S-TTL Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xabain2003

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

At this moment I have an old manual strobe borrowed from a friend and I was considering to buy the Inon S2000.

I am quite new to take pics with a strobe and I just think I now a little bit about How S-TTL works .

A coleague has told me that have bouth the Rx100Mk2 and has checked that does not work with the Inon S2000 in S-TTL Mode.

I have been going through some threads but I think to understand that it works properly at least with the Rx1001 which is the one I own.

Thanks in Advance for you replies
Kind Regards
Xabain2003

Makes no sense Inon strobes work pretty much with anything

On the other side I would not buy the S2000/D2000 for the RX100 as the camera needs smaller aperture than other compacts

I would think Inon Z240 or Sea and Sea YS-D1 are ideal and lacking fund Sea and Sea YS-01

Despite the specs are identical the YS-01 is much stronger than the S/D2000

Thanks for the reply, D1 is my favorite choice but price goes quite high.

Why the Rx100 needs smaller apertures than other camaras? ( The soft corners)

For me,the advantage of the S2000 from other strobes is its size.

I understand the TTL as an automatic way of using a external flash. When the camara preflash check How much light is required and base on it calculate How much flash should be fired.

But How does it works in practise , is it accurate enough, because in that case I could go for the Sea and Sea YS-02 that only has manual mode.

Is there any one Who use the Rx100 with an Inon Strobe that could let me know if the S-TTL works fine and How is their experience.

Thanks
Regards
Xabain2003

Larger sensor less depth of field = smaller aperture requires = higher strobe power required

S2000 small but weak

TTL is useful buy an YS-01

I have to disagree with this opinion.
with that way of thinking You can say Larger sensor less depth of field = smaller aperture requires = higher strobe power required=plase do not buy full frame DSLR because You will need strobes with 100 guide number !!!

IMHO
larger sensor=higher iso=You do not need strong strobes
smaller aperture=You want to shoot macro=very short distance=You do not need very strong lamp

xabain2003 I have rx100 and inon s2000 I will check later if it works togehter in S-ttl. I prefer manual mode, so main disadvantage of S2000 is small knob to adjust strobe power. If You have dry gloves then it is more difficult, but if You dive mainly in warm waters without gloves then it dosent matter they are enough strong and small, so togehter with compact camera the set up looks really nice and compact.

Off course if You have money, then You should buy the best strobes :)

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 02:48 PM ----------

xabain2003 I just check and S-TTl works fine with setup RX-100 plus 2xS2000

Last edited:
A person with an SLR will use two YS-d1 or two z240 or better two ikelite 161
All those strobes are real guide number 20++
The s2000 is only good for macro and close up which is not the type of photography you do in Spain for most...

A person with an SLR will use two YS-d1 or two z240 or better two ikelite 161
All those strobes are real guide number 20++
The s2000 is only good for macro and close up which is not the type of photography you do in Spain for most...
So the question is what kind of photography Xabain2003 want to do ??
Compact camera is not the best for WAL of wrecks with ambient light, so the lamp which is not the strongest one is enough good.
I saw a lot of people, including me, who are using strobes with half power, so IMHO the power is not most important factor.

A person with big camera will use lamp, which looks seriously, not like a toy, and this lamps should have electrical connection. Again power is not the main factor.
This is just my personal opinion and I do not want to proof that is the only one :p

So the question is what kind of photography Xabain2003 want to do ??
Compact camera is not the best for WAL of wrecks with ambient light, so the lamp which is not the strongest one is enough good.
I saw a lot of people, including me, who are using strobes with half power, so IMHO the power is not most important factor.

A person with big camera will use lamp, which looks seriously, not like a toy, and this lamps should have electrical connection. Again power is not the main factor.
This is just my personal opinion and I do not want to proof that is the only one :p

i think you never try to do sunburst shots.... when i use my rx100 with two D2000 on wide angle photography i don't have the power i need! if you want a crisp image with the fisheye lens you need to close to F10-F11... otherwise the corner quality is a nightmare... if you have the sun in your image you have the same problem, F11 and fast timing... you need more light for a colorfull reef without a sun like a egg.... and if you pump up the iso you take a sun like a big fried egg.. with crisp corners :) in wide angle i had to use 200iso... :-(
i love my inons D2000... but last year with the dslr and this summer with the rx100 i understand that i need more power... when i have the canon s95 they are ok!!
i agree with interceptor... the rx100 need powerfull strobes...

boletus1973 maybe I am wrong then I will be more than to learn something new and to know if I need new lamps
sunburst is just 1% of photos which I took, I have only few photos like that

255226_488053437890101_1651042204_n.jpg
391512_486402601388518_214967387_n.jpg

but it was taken by olympus with very small ccd

and there are some Sidemountdiving.pl - poczuj wolno?? - Galeria - Kategoria: Piechcin X 2013 taken with 5D

with canon 5D I can imagine that I need stronger lamp because I cannot sync with time 1/2000 like in oly so I have to close aperture much more ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom