Rust Proof Shades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cybdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for rust proof shades. Most sunglasses use metal hinges and they rust. In salt water everything rusts.
I have found one pair of Oakly that use a nylon hinge but they are expensive.
If anyone knows of eye wear that uses a non-metalic hinge please post the info.

thanks

fyi: my Oakly scratched very easy, my Maui Jim did not.

I wear a pair of Rx shades that are made of a type of titanium that flexes.....They're called Flexon frames....Almost indestructible, never rust and you can put any type of lens, filter and color in them you want.......Come in a variety of styles....Go to Eyeglasses.com........

I should have been more clear, these need to have prescription lenses. Any frames with a curve becomes very expensive for prescriptions.
I have 2 pairs of glasses with the Flexon frames by Nike good stuff but they have metal hinges. As for regular shades I can't see a darn thing with them. I need a cost effective pair to take on boats and wear in the surf.
So far the Oakly are the best with the nylon hinges but they aint cheap.

I can't remember what they are called but there are some with no hinges. Instead of hinges there is a slightly flexible connection to the frame and it works really well as it keeps the glasses tight on your head. They are also really difficult to break as if you bend them they bounce right back.

I should have been more clear, these need to have prescription lenses. Any frames with a curve becomes very expensive for prescriptions.
I have 2 pairs of glasses with the Flexon frames by Nike good stuff but they have metal hinges. As for regular shades I can't see a darn thing with them. I need a cost effective pair to take on boats and wear in the surf.
So far the Oakly are the best with the nylon hinges but they aint cheap.

Checkout Polarized Sunglasses | Diving Sunglasses | Watersports Sunglasses - Diver Shades. I dont know whether you will be able to get prescription lenses but for that price its worth a shot.

I wore prescription glasses for most of my life, and I have worked in places that you need good shades for most of my adult career (25 yrs +), mostly on or near the water.

NEVER scrimp on sun protection for your eyes, especially when you are on the water (light is bounced all over the place).

The best glasses that I have found to date by far are Maui Jim, yes they are expensive, but as with all things you get what you pay for. The glass and polarization is awesome. (They were designed originally by a sport fisherman). The fixtures and fittings have a limited lifetime warranty, so if the hinges rust they will replace them for you. I own 4 pairs now, the oldest being about 6 years old, and rust has never been an issue.

There are a number of the Maui Jim frames that will take prescription lenses. Maui Jim had a great customer service liaison, and I am sure that if you call them they can assist you.

My solution to the challenge of prescription lenses / dive masks? I had Lasik surgery for acute astigmatism about 10 years or so - it worked a treat, and paid for its self in no time as I no longer needed to purchase eye wear that need special lenses!

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 09:21 AM ----------

fyi: my Oakly scratched very easy, my Maui Jim did not.

I have experienced the same issue, I'm not sure if its the salt water environment, but whilst they look cool, they are not suited for the dive life style.

Rayban makes a tech line. Carbon fiber and Ti. I love them. Spendy though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom