Rust or Not Rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During my annual servicing of my Classic second stage reg. I noticed the inside of my Adjustment tube looked to have a "rust" color patchy down the inside of the tube after I did the ultrasonic cleaning. I think its just copper but not sure. I've got 200+ dives on the reg. I wouldn't think the chrome and nickel would have rubbed off that quick but I have been wrong before, my wife tells me. Any insight or experince knowledge would help. This is my second service since the repair class and still green at this. Thanks

but I have been wrong before, my wife tells me
Ha, that's funny. I have the same problem.

The inside of the tubes on my Classics also look like that as if the bare metal has a rust coloration to it. Mine were rebuilt and went into the ultrasonic due to salt buildup on the threads of the adjustment knob that made it hard to turn. Possibly any coating of chrome or nickel doesn't get to the interior of the adjustment tube. It does seem to be bare metal though and not actually rust. Definitely looked twice at it when I saw it.

Is it brass colored?

I have the same in one of my 2nd tubes where the orifice meets and a few Adjuster knobs. I've chalked it up to corrosion/bare metal and a few hundred dives along with prior servicing (most of my regs were previously enjoyed).

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom