Rust on Faber/OMS LP85s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDKL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I’ve just been offered some Faber/OMS LP85s and as you can see the bottoms (that were under boots) are somewhat rusty.

I’ve been offered them at $300 as is or $480 with fresh hydro/visual, tumbling and O2 cleaning of tanks and valves. They are banded and have a Dive Rite manifold. There does not appear to be any other significant rust higher up.

I can definitely do a cleanup and coat with ZRC but was wondering whether it’s worthwhile at this price. My other option is getting some fresh HDG Faber LP85s but that adds about $400 including shipping unless someone has some Worthington LP85s that they’d like to sell me.

Thanks,

D.

A5157A1F-73CF-4DB5-9043-771CEC515046.jpeg

if they include the bands and manifold for the 300 and look reasonable inside, it really is up to you whether the effort of cleaning them up is worth it. wouldn't be a terrible deal.

sidenote: are you getting them o2 cleaned because the lds you use still does pp blending?

Seems a little pricy but I don't know your local used gear market prices for out of test tanks.

Is $180 for cleaning/hydro normal there?

90 for hydro/vis, tumble, and o2 clean per tank is pretty normal of lds pricing. of course it is cheaper if you get it shot blasted/hydro directly at the hydro facility and o2 clean yourself.

O2 cleaning primarily because most of the local shops won’t fill non-clean and non-nitrox labeled tanks even if they bank.

The hydro is $40 per tank, O2 clean includes the tumbling and cleaning of tanks/valves/manifold.

Edit: most won’t accept home O2 cleaning and I’m not certified to do the visual after cleaning...

Do those come with actual 7” bands or 7.25” bands?

O2 cleaning primarily because most of the local shops won’t fill non-clean and non-nitrox labeled tanks even if they bank.

In other words the shops are actually following the guidelines.

The hydro is $40 per tank, O2 clean includes the tumbling and cleaning of tanks/valves/manifold.

$90 each for disassembly, delivery to hydro shop, hydro, tumbling, o2 cleaning tank and valve, VIP, and reassembly is not unreasonable. Get them to toss a fill of 32% and teach you how to disassemble and reassemble them as doubles.

That said if these are being sold by a shop I would get them to clean up the rust too. Or at least let you do that before they are reassembled and after the hydro.

They are probably correct but check to make sure the bands are 7" bands and not 7.25" bands. If 7.25" bands knock $100 off so to get the correct bands so not to screw up the manifold.

Is there a good way to identify whether the bands are actually 7” vs 7.25”?

The person I’m getting them from has had them for a while and is willing to do the hydro/visual and O2 cleaning prior to my taking possession.

I’d need to be using them immediately after the O2 cleaning so I’d have to deal with the rust in the weeks following. I wouldn’t have time to strip them and repaint prior to my initial use. Would you consider this a reason not to get them or just something to deal with ASAP.

I’ve assembled and disassembled doubles before and have no issues with that but I need a set in the next 2 weeks and it’s either these or buying a brand new set.

My question is really, would you buy these with a fresh hydro / O2 cleaned for $480 despite the external rust?

There's nothing wrong with those bands.

Are you sure you can even get them back in two weeks if they need to go through hydro, tumble, and O2 cleaning?

If it helps as a reference point, I have a pair of Faber LP85 I would sell for $200 each without manifold or bands, last hydro 3/17, spotless interior and good exterior.

So for $80 you are getting bands, manifold, fresh hydro, tumbling, O2 cleaning, and exterior rust.

Back
Top Bottom