Rust on bottom of tank question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gonza6bb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
C690A7D9-B202-4584-BE34-C499EFF2B1DB.jpeg

Hello, I bought a couple LP used tanks. One of them has this rust on bottom which I forgot to check before I bought(rookie mistake) I took them all to get hydro and vis. They all passed. Anything to do about it or just keep using? Thanks!

Attachments

• FBA89095-40DC-4970-A208-2F234E8D3D3B.jpeg
    FBA89095-40DC-4970-A208-2F234E8D3D3B.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 35
Anything to do about it or just keep using? Thanks!
If you don't stop the rust it will pit. Eventually Pit depths equal failure. There's a ton of threads using the search on ways to fix rusted tanks.

Hello, I bought a couple LP used tanks. One of them has this rust on bottom which I forgot to check before I bought(rookie mistake) I took them all to get hydro and vis. They all passed. Anything to do about it or just keep using? Thanks!
Time to toss those out - PM me and I'll let you know where to send them for disposal... JK

knock off the rust/clean the metal good (assuming it's not excessive as it passed vis), if they are galvanized use that galvanizing spray (I've never used it but it get good reviews on SB). If not galvanized, prime/paint - enjoy lots of diving.

By hand, wire brush the rust and loose paint off. The spray with appliance white epoxy paint. Give 2-3 coats and you are good.

Get that boot off first and see what’s going on in detail.
If it just past hydro then obviously they weren’t too worried about it or they wouldn’t have risked a hydro.
You can pick and clean any loose rust and scale off, then brush some naval jelly on the rusted area only, not on the galvanizing if you can help it. I understand some of the naval jelly will get on the edges of the galvanizing but that is OK. It will eat the galvanizing off is all. Rust killer (naval jelly) will kill the rust and stop at clean steel, so you don’t have to worry that you’re damaging the good metal.
After the naval jelly has done it’s job for a while (15-20 minutes) you can wire brush the area with a small wire brush and re-apply more naval jelly. After that has been on a while you will give it another once over with the wire brush then rinse it off with a hose and clean off all remaining naval jelly. Do not allow naval jelly to dry on the surface. If the naval jelly has dried then re-apply more naval jelly and rinse it off while it’s still wet. Make sure you rinse it very well and if you have to use a scrub brush or scouring pad to get ALL the naval jelly off, do so.
Wear rubber or thick latex gloves while you’re doing all this, naval jelly will burn your hands. Immediately wipe the treated area dry with a towel and blow it with compressed air, or dry it with a heat gun. After it’s thoroughly dry you can spray a couple coats of Rustoleum zinc spray on the area or if you can get ZRC cold galvanizing compound in your state use that (it’s a brush on product). Let it sit for 24 hours then you can put the boot back on and you’re ready to go.

You’re welcome.

Get that boot off first and see what’s going on in detail.
If it just past hydro then obviously they weren’t too worried about it or they wouldn’t have risked a hydro.
You can pick and clean any loose rust and scale off, then brush some naval jelly on the rusted area only, not on the galvanizing if you can help it. I understand some of the naval jelly will get on the edges of the galvanizing but that is OK. It will eat the galvanizing off is all. Rust killer (naval jelly) will kill the rust and stop at clean steel, so you don’t have to worry that you’re damaging the good metal.
After the naval jelly has done it’s job for a while (15-20 minutes) you can wire brush the area with a small wire brush and re-apply more naval jelly. After that has been on a while you will give it another once over with the wire brush then rinse it off with a hose and clean off all remaining naval jelly. Do not allow naval jelly to dry on the surface. If the naval jelly has dried then re-apply more naval jelly and rinse it off while it’s still wet. Make sure you rinse it very well and if you have to use a scrub brush or scouring pad to get ALL the naval jelly off, do so.
Wear rubber or thick latex gloves while you’re doing all this, naval jelly will burn your hands. Immediately wipe the treated area dry with a towel and blow it with compressed air, or dry it with a heat gun. After it’s thoroughly dry you can spray a couple coats of Rustoleum zinc spray on the area or if you can get ZRC cold galvanizing compound in your state use that (it’s a brush on product). Let it sit for 24 hours then you can put the boot back on and you’re ready to go.

You’re welcome.
Thank you!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom