Russ "Rojo" Fontaine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband, Russ or "Rojo", passed away on September 23rd in San Carlos, Mexico. I had just done my 500th dive and came home to find him gone. He was a Master Instructor, former Vietnam Era Navy Seal, and lover of all things diving. He had 50 years of diving experience, and 45 years teaching. He taught more divemasters and instructors in the state of Sonora than anyone else. Today, I placed some of his ashes at one of his favorite dive locations in San Carlos. I will miss him terribly, te amo mi Rojo.

Russ1.jpg

Laurie,
My deepest condolences on the loss of the loss of the love your life Russ. I don't recall ever meeting him but at this late date I wished I had the opportunity to have met him. I suspect we would have become friends.

It is so sad that you completed your 500th and concurrently you lost Russ. I am certain when he took his last breathe he was thinking of you and your milestone 500 th dive.

I have had a soft spot in my heart for San Carlos for well over 65 years. In the genesis of recreational diving San Carlos was our go to spot from California for cheep tropical diving.

In 1955 Ernesto Zarazota organized the first and only ":Inner American spear fishing meet" at San Carlos, The Americans dominated so it was the first and only inner American meet

In 1956 I was a USAF officer stationed at Luke AFB. There was a cadre of about a half a dozen who were interested in spear fishing and "lung" diving so we constructed Co 2 spear guns from surplus items and headed for San Carlos. We located it via a small sign nailed to a post Bahia San Carlos with an arrow pointing west- we had the entire bay to our selves and had a incredible spear fishing week end.

I returned almost yearly until mid 1965 when the permanent trailers began appearing .. It was just too much civilization for me to tolerate so that was my last visit,

Now Is a thriving city …

So Laurie It would have been fantastic if Russ and I could have met and shared stories …

Once again Laurie my most sincere condolences on your great loss

Sam Miller, 111

RIP Rojo.....

Laurie,
My deepest condolences on the loss of the loss of your life Russ. I don't recall ever meeting him but at this late date I wished I had the opportunity to have met him. I suspect we would have become friends.

It is so sad that you completed your 500th and concurrently you lost Russ. I am certain when he took his last breathe he was thinking of you and your milestone 500 th dive.

I have had a soft spot in my heart for San Carlos for well over 65 years. In the genesis of recreational diving San Carlos was our go to spot from California for cheep tropical diving.

In 1955 Ernesto Zarazota organized the first and only ":Inner American spear fishing meet" at San Carlos, The Americans dominated so it was the first and only inner American meet

In 1956 I was a USAF officer stationed at Luke AFB. There was a cadres of about a half a dozen who were interested in spear fishing and "lung" diving so we constructed Co 2 spear guns from surplus items and headed for San Carlos. We located it via a small sign nailed to a post Bahia San Carlos with an arrow pointing west- we had the entire bay to our selves and had a incredible spear fishing week end.

I returned almost yearly until mid 1965 when the permanent trailers began appearing .. It was just too much civilization for me to tolerate so that was my last visit,

Now Is a thriving city …

So Laurie It would have been fantastic if Russ and I could have met and shared stories …

Once again Laurie my most sincere condolences on your great loss

Sam Miller, 111

He certainly would have loved to shoot the breeze with you. And go diving. Thank you.

My husband, Russ or "Rojo", passed away on September 23rd in San Carlos, Mexico. I had just done my 500th dive and came home to find him gone. He was a Master Instructor, former Vietnam Era Navy Seal, and lover of all things diving. He had 50 years of diving experience, and 45 years teaching. He taught more divemasters and instructors in the state of Sonora than anyone else. Today, I placed some of his ashes at one of his favorite dive locations in San Carlos. I will miss him terribly, te amo mi Rojo.

View attachment 482034

That is an awesome picture, my condolences ma'am. My nickname was also red when I was younger, not my choice but one day I showed up in elementary school with red sneakers, red cordoroy jeans, and a red jacket, I loved the color red, and oh btw I had flaming bright red hair. That nickname stuck till I graduated high school and every time I meet old friends lol. Hair isnt red anymore what with all the grey and passing the five oh mark now

He was from Mendocino. Two weeks ago we placed his ashes in the ocean there, per his wishes. I would have preferred to have been abalone diving with him.

He was from Mendocino. Two weeks ago we placed his ashes in the ocean there, per his wishes. I would have preferred to have been abalone diving with him.
my father always abalone dived in monterey. He used to take me in the late 70s. I still feel like a boy when I think about times back then.
I think many of us would have been honored to be there when you placed his ashes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom