Routing to Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Pleasant dilemma. I'm trying to figure a route to Sorong to catch a liveaboard next spring. We'll leave from west coast of US (SFO probably) and with reasonable efficiency would like to dive 4-5 days days enroute to Sorong. Last year we flew into Bali, dove Tulamben then did a Bali>Makassar>Sorong flight (same route back). Certainly can do this again but...Manado seems like another possible good option (especially since we end up there after sailing from Sorong).

Problem I have w/ Manado plans are layovers and/or flight connections. Flying China Air I can be on Bali w/ "only" a 3.5hr layover enroute, land in the afternoon less than 24hrs after leaving the States and be diving the next morning. The connections I've seen for Manado go to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta mostly and have either layovers of 8-9 hrs or else just miss connections to Manado for the day--or both! Anyone have a favorite airline/route to Manado they care to share? (Heck, I'll settle for a Makassar hotel option that is cheaper than the Aryaduta Hotel!) Thanks in advance. // ww

Last edited:
I usually fly thru Singapore when going to Manado. As you mentioned you have an 8-9 hour layover so I book a six hour block at the transit hotel right in the airport terminal. Lets you get synched to the time change too.

Thanks Chinacat. Yeah, I've got the SFO>SIN part figured and I can live w/ the layover--if the Manado flight then gets me in early enough to not waste another day. Guess I should have asked for airline & flight #s (or times) but I thought that might be asking a bit much. // ww

Silk Air is showing
Singapore 09:25 Manado 13:05 MWFSa
This probably about the earliest you can arrive in Manado (mid-day). Do a late afternoon/night dive in Lembeh.

Thanks JC. I dunno though--a night dive at Lembeh right off the bat. Could lead to some serious narcosis from what I hear. (Sure sounds great though!) // ww

You could find itineraries that on paper would get you there without too long a layover for example the itinerary below.

Keep in mind however, that once you start dealing with domestic Indonesian carriers schedules can change between now and the time of your trip and flights get canceled/delayed on a regular basis.

If you can take S'pore Air at least you have a very good chance of getting to Manado as planned.

I'm not sure what your standards are but there are definitely cheaper hotel options in Makassar. In December 2008 I stayed at the Lossary Beach Hotel for 250,000 IDR (~$30) per night.

Sample Itinerary:
EVA Air from Seattle to Jakarta (via Taipei) and then catch an afternoon flight on Batavia (domestic Indonesian carrier) to Manado.

EVA Air Flight 25 Departs: 1:00a Seattle/ Tacoma Intl (SEA)
Arrives: 6:20a Taoyuan Intl (TPE) Boeing 747 (Wide-body Jet) | 13h 20m | 6060 miles

Layover in Taipei, Taiwan (TPE) for 2h 40m

EVA Air Flight 237 Departs: 9:00a Taoyuan Intl (TPE) Arrives: 1:10p Soekarno- Hatta Intl (CGK)

Connect to Batavia Air flight Y6-631 departs Jakarta 15.40 LT arrives in Mandao 20.55 LT after a short stopover in BPN

Here is our itinerary for March. We are traveling with a couple who make this trip 2-3 times a year. They elect to stay in Manado due to iffy connection times to Sorong.

Novotel is $41 per night. T

Date Time Destination Arrival Date Notes Cost Paid

14-Mar 1:10 PM LAX-Tokyo 5:55 PM 15-Mar 11 hours 45 min 1 hour between flights

15-Mar 7:00 PM Tokyo-Singapore 1:35 AM 16-Mar 7 hours 35 min /Transit hotel 7 hrs 50 min

16-Mar 9:25 AM Singapore-Manado 1:05 PM 16-Mar 3 hrs 40 min. Silk Air.

16-Mar Novotel

17-Mar Manado-Sorong Tambora

31-Mar am Tambora-Manado Kungkukan Bay Resort

1-Apr 1:50 PM Manado-Singapore 5:05 PM 1-Apr Furama Riverfront Hotel

2-Apr 9:45 AM Singapore-Tokyo 5:20 PM 2-Apr 6 hrs 35 min

2-Apr 6:30 PM Tokyo-LAX 11:30 AM 2-Apr 9 hrs. 55 min

Thanks JC. I dunno though--a night dive at Lembeh right off the bat. Could lead to some serious narcosis from what I hear. (Sure sounds great though!) // ww

:confused: Probably wouldn't hit 40' on a Lembeh night dive ...

I agree with JBJCLJ. The less time you spend on Indonesian domestic airlines the better!
Flying Singapore Airlines into Singapore then Silk Air into Manado is a great option. You don't have to worry about any overweight fees to Manado. We have done this route 2x and it was on time both times. That way you only have to worry about luggage fees and endless hours in the domestic airport one time from Manado to Sorong since your boat ends up in Manado at the end of your trip. We have done the Bali-Makassar-Sorong route 1x and are not fans of that way.
(Although we loved the Brazilian b-b-q night at the Aryaduta) If you do fly on Singapore Airlines be sure to book all the way through on the Singapore airlines option and not the Silk Air option from Singapore to Manado. Even though you will still fly Silk Air with both options you won't get your frequent flier miles unless you book All Singapore airlines. I know this probably sounds confusing but it will make sense once you go to book and see what boxes they give you to check off. Have fun no matter what you decide to do.

I have taken the Singapore Air flight from LAX to Singapore and connected with Silk Air three times (last time was 3 years ago paid US$1120 for LAX to Singapore via Tokyo to Manado and back (booked at the Singapore web site, and it was US $45 cheaper than my friend who is VP of a huge ticket company could get wholesale, so check regularly you may want to try YAPTA.com which lets you track ticket prices and emails you when it goes down)

Every trip was flawless. A tip for food on a large plane like a 747. If you get a special meal (I get the Asian or Indian vegetarian) you will get served first since they want to get rid of the special meals right away so they can start with the chicken or fish routine.

Upon arrival in Indonesia, always ask about the departure tax and be sure to save local currency. When I was last in Manado, you checked in and got your boarding pass, and just before going up the stairs you paid about US$8 in local currency for the departure tax and got a sticker or stamp on your boarding pass. Every airport has a different rate, so ask and tuck away enough rupiah for the airport tax and any snacks at the airport etc. In most countries the taxes are already included in the fare.

If you are bring US Dollars cash make sure the bills are clean, unmarked, crisp and recent. This applies in particular to US $100 bills because they have had counterfeiting problems with the 100 dollar bill, so newer and crisper is best and will get you a better rate. Old bills may be refused.

I prefer the discountable (you will probably not get miles f you get the discounted flight, you will have to check this out and figure out if it is worth paying more to get miles) one stop to Singapore via Tokyo because it is cheaper than the non-stop from LA and I like to get out and stretch my legs for an hour in Tokyo. Everyone goes on the same flight in morning to Manado.

And yes, you do get the full baggage allowance the whole way based on the Piece Concept (PC) which applies to flights from/to US or Canada. Two pieces of luggage each weighing 50 pounds

If you fly one airline to Asia and then different one to Manado your luggage for you Manado flight will be subject to the Weight Concept (WC) which is standard for most international flight of a total of 20 kg (44 pounds total) Flights on Singapore Air and Silk Air are considered to be on the same airline because Silk Air is a subsidiary of Singapore Air and their is no break in the flight as you continue on the next available flight

You will see the codes PC or WC in your actual ticket.

Here is the web site about baggage on Silk Air (a subsidiary of Singapore Air) which explains the baggage concepts. Since one is flying Singapore Air and connecting on the next available flight it is like you are coming from Canada or US and thus the Piece Concept applies because essentially you have not broken your journey. If you stayed in Singapore for several days I am not sure what would happen. You need to ask.

SilkAir: SilkAir Experience - On the ground - Excess baggage

They also may allow about 10 Kg for divers. Ask. It is unclear if it applies to WC only or also to PC

Plus you check your bag at LAX all the way thru to Manado

So be sure to take what you need for your overnight in Singapore in your carry on.

I always take my reg/gauges/computer and BCD and a thin exposure suit (I use the suit for padding) in my carry on and only ship my spare clothes and fins. I use a separate regulator bag clipped on to my carry on with snap bolts as it makes it easier to get the regulator out for inspection. If you go via Tokyo, as soon as you get off the plane you go thru security with your carry on luggage before going to the wait in the departure lounge.

Be sure to check out the beautiful inside gardens in the Singapore Airport terminals especially the orchid garden with koi pond in Terminal 2 Free wifi at Singapore airport and free terminals to use for internet access all over the place including departure lounges.

A tip for your return trip, though you may be given a boarding pass with an assigned seat for the Singapore_LAX flight when you check in at Manado, when you arrive at Singapore airport go to one of the transit desks and see if you can get moved to seat with more leg room Often seat with extra leg room because they are designed to have a baby "bed" mounted on the wall in front of the seat, become available at the last minute. Presumably those seats were held back in case someone traveling with a baby needed them and those are nice, extra legroom and no one in front leaning their seat back on your making it impossible to view the video screen etc. By the way, with Video on Demand you knock off a few movies and you are in Tokyo, a few more and your are in Singapore.

Some airlines may throw in the connecting flight to the international gateway (e.g the SFO to LAX flight) for no extra cost. I recall being a flight several years ago from LAX to Fiji and someone was on my flight and they paid the same amount starting in San Francisco. Ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom