Round-up of BP&W compatibility, features, and recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Right, so, DSS being defunct, I've got to switch brands. School me with an eye towards a system that will work for tropical dives, coldwater dives, singles, and doubles.

My existing inventory of BP/W materials includes:
* A Dive Rite lightweight backplate (stainless steel with cutouts) with the camband slots elongated
* A DSS "large" backplate with removable ballast plates
* An 18# DSS wing
* A 30# DSS wing
* A 50# DSS doubles wing
* A 50# Halcyon doubles wing

Wishes and wants:

* Weight plates or an extra-heavy plate suitable for coldwater single-tank diving (14 lbs)
* Ability to attach independent doubles using cambands
* Good roll control for single tanks without an STA
* Offset elbow on single tank wings so that it doesn't crowd the regulator
* Bottom dump in the standard place, i.e. facing the diver on the diver's left side
* Backplates that will work with DSS single tank wings
* Single tank wings that will work with DSS backplates
* Established product with good prospects for long-term support and good parts availability at reasonable prices
* Deep center rib on the backplate for good clearance for band hardware for doubles
* Backplate design that does not require a grommet in the webbing, or triglides to lock the webbing in place

HOG pretty much checks all the boxes. Your last item is simply not going to happen. I don't know anyone else that makes a plate with something to stop the webbing from moving like the DSS inserts. triglides are not the end of the world and you don't really need to use the grommet if you don't want to.
The HOG 32 wings have offset elbows for the inflator.
Weight pockets on the cam bands next to wing allow me to add 10 lbs to my plate and they don't move. One on the top and one on the bottom. On opposite sides to balance everything.
No STA needed.
There are slots in the HOG plates that would allow independent doubles with cam bands to be set up. They would not work with the wings very well unless you have a doubles wing. And I don't think I'd be cutting slots into your DSS or Halcyon wings to run the cam bands through.
If you're going to run independent doubles, why not just sidemount?
I've used the HOG plate with DSS singles wings.
Why do you have to switch brands? Plates will work with virtually any wing and unless you run over it, you're not going to hurt a plate.
You could also go with an Oxycheq or VDH 18lb wing.
HOG makes a 23 and I had one but saw no need to keep using it since the 32 is not much bigger but gives me more lift that I prefer should I have to assist another diver. Plus the new HOG bungee 32 is actually more compact with the bungees on than the 23 in my opinion.

I would keep the DSS backplate. Mares does make a heavy backplate but it is expensive and it is regular size. If you want a large size heavy plate then your only choice would be to try to find a second-hand FredT plate.

I am not sure what you need with independent doubles.

Most modern wings have roll control. Go with a Hog, VDH, Oxycheq, Deep6 or the new DGX wing. I think DSS is the only singles wing with the center inflator hose. Most others I have seen are off-set. Also most have the dump on the left facing the diver. Zeagle went their own way on some of their wings. The wings I mentioned have long slots that will accept a variety of plates.

When dealing with small (or even large) companies you don't know what the future holds. Who would have thought Sears, GM, K-Mart, Blockbuster, Radio Shack would have gone bankrupt 20 years ago? My recommendation is try to find a wing that is put together using standard parts and that you can repair or get a spare bladder for. Some brands use proprietary parts which tie you to a dealer repairs.

Right, so, DSS being defunct, I've got to switch brands. School me with an eye towards a system that will work for tropical dives, coldwater dives, singles, and doubles.

My existing inventory of BP/W materials includes:
* A Dive Rite lightweight backplate (stainless steel with cutouts) with the camband slots elongated
* A DSS "large" backplate with removable ballast plates
* An 18# DSS wing
* A 30# DSS wing
* A 50# DSS doubles wing
* A 50# Halcyon doubles wing

Wishes and wants:

* Weight plates or an extra-heavy plate suitable for coldwater single-tank diving (14 lbs)
* Ability to attach independent doubles using cambands
* Good roll control for single tanks without an STA
* Offset elbow on single tank wings so that it doesn't crowd the regulator
* Bottom dump in the standard place, i.e. facing the diver on the diver's left side
* Backplates that will work with DSS single tank wings
* Single tank wings that will work with DSS backplates
* Established product with good prospects for long-term support and good parts availability at reasonable prices
* Deep center rib on the backplate for good clearance for band hardware for doubles
* Backplate design that does not require a grommet in the webbing, or triglides to lock the webbing in place
On your last point regarding not needing a keeper to keep the waist strap from sliding.
You can make any plate be like that with a little DIY.
Just put a third slot in next to the two already there and lace the webbing like the top of an old school pack. The webbing will self lock and both ends will exit from the outermost slot.

Just put a third slot in next to the two already there and lace the webbing like the top of an old school pack. The webbing will self lock and both ends will exit from the outermost slot.
That's a great tip. Thanks!

I just bought the "v-weight pocket" from LP to see if it'll fit under the tank bracket on Eric's plate. It takes close to 4lbs of shot in one side. There's a bag on other side too but I want that flat to the plate/wing center panel -- with a traditional plate you may be OK filling that side as well and fiting the whole thing in the groove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom