Rough morning in Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad P.

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Our team is on standby to join search efforts later this evening. Two drownings within 75 miles before 11:30am. Recovery operations are underway at this time. Please take a moment to say a prayer for the families involved and also for the teams working the scenes. Hopefully there can be a speedy resolution in both cases.

Ponds? Lakes? Conditions? Were the two drownings associated? Why were people in the water at this temperature? Info?

I've got an experienced recovery team here just a couple of hours away from you. Just say the word.

We've worked closely with many institutions (such as fire depts., GADNR, police, and other government agencies) in the past - and use Dive Rescue International's protocols if you require it.

...Just say the word and we'll be there. We're accustomed to high-flow, zero-vis blackwater, contaminated environments, and have done dozens of recoveries in the past.

Information is still being gathered so I didn't want to put too much out until I know for certain. But from what has been reported so far, both are in ponds and are not related. One was due to a capsized boat and not certain about the other yet. Thanks for the offer of assistance. PM be your contact information. We will be going into some one else's jurisdiction to assist and I will let the IC know of your offer and get back with you. Thanks.

Roger that. PM sent. :)

Thanks for standing by guys...here are the short details.

Call #1 We had our first call at 8:30 am as mutual aid to a local county. It seems four people were parting late Sunday and flip their canoe and one did not make out. Our team is all volunteer so we paged out and we had 3 divers and 2 boat operators respond. I sent the team out along with our Chief to assist and I returned to my normal job.

Call #2 At 11:30am the Chief called and told me we had our 2nd drowning and it was in our home county. I arrived on scene to evaluate, thirty plus acre pond with one victim missing and one victim on the bank. Georgia DNR and the local SO were also on the scene. Our boat with its side scan was out of the county so we asked for Coffee County and Appling County to assist with their side scan and divers.

Appling County, Coffee County and Milan VFD assisted with search. Good work by all four dive teams and support staff.

At the end of the day both victim were located and recovered.

Excellent work, guys...

Thank you for the update, and you're very welcome for the offer of assistance. In case you ever have the need again, please do not hesitate to call - we, too, are equipped with both sidescan and magnetometer equipment of various types.

Nice work. Glad to see closure for the family. Professionalism at it's best!

Forgot to call give a big thanks to our own guys...Hazlehurts/Jeff Davis Dive Team

Four teams in all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom