Rough conditions Christmas-New Year week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forgeahead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We took our yearly New Year trip to Belize this year.
We were anticipating wonderful diving. We were on Ambergris Caye.
The conditions were too rough to dive the entire week. We were able to snorkel inside the reef but that was it.
I can’t believe we went to one of the best dive destinations in the world and we couldn’t go down!
Oh well, the island was beautiful and the people were great so we’ll return.

I had a week like this a number of years ago (but in Cozumel).
Now, if I go on a dive trip that time of the year, I go to the ABC islands.

We took our yearly New Year trip to Belize this year.
We were anticipating wonderful diving. We were on Ambergris Caye.
The conditions were too rough to dive the entire week. We were able to snorkel inside the reef but that was it.
I can’t believe we went to one of the best dive destinations in the world and we couldn’t go down!
Oh well, the island was beautiful and the people were great so we’ll return.

Sorry this happened. I've had many many blown out days whilst staying on Ambergris Caye. The winter months can be very unkind there as far as diving is concerned. None of that stopped me from returning 23+ times, lol.

I had a week like this a number of years ago (but in Cozumel).
Now, if I go on a dive trip that time of the year, I go to the ABC islands.

Belize may be worse than Cozumel for lost diving days in winter. I've never heard anyone going to Bonaire and not getting to dive all week. Maybe once in 20 years around a hurricane.

That happened to me at the end of April two years ago. Ended up taking two different 3 tank day trips south with Island Divers where the dive sites were more protected by the atolls.

We had a couple of bad days in Placencia over Christmas-New Years but got out most days.
I do not agree with the view of bad weather this time of the year.
Check out these links:

December Climate History for Placencia | Local | Belize

January Climate History for Placencia | Local | Belize

Wind
The average daily wind speed in December has been around 3 km/h, that’s the equivalent to about 2 mph, or 2 knots. In recent years the maximum sustained wind speed has reached 22 km/h, that’s the equivalent of around 14 mph, or 12 knots.

Wind
The average daily wind speed in January has been around 4 km/h, that’s the equivalent to about 2 mph, or 2 knots. In recent years the maximum sustained wind speed has reached 22 km/h, that’s the equivalent of around 14 mph, or 12 knots.

Regards
Ralph

Ugh, that stinks. Sorry to hear it. I’m going down for 2 weeks from the 19th. Never had a day where we couldn’t dive in the years I’ve been down, guess I have been lucky.. was it just windy?

Back
Top Bottom