Question Rosario Island resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a dive center picked out, but wondering if any fellow inmate here have a recent resort/hotel recommendations on the island(s)?

Added points for Cartagena lodging too (after the diving)

TIA,

I was in Colombia in February. I didn't dive. In Rosario Islands, I stayed at Hotel Secreto one night. The property was clean and nice, and the staff very helpful. They have a beach with scenic views, and the food was decent. They also have daily activities like kayaking and snorkeling.

In Cartagena, I stayed at Casa Movida. It's within walking distance to many attractions and neighborhoods. They have laundry service for a fee, and free daily breakfast. There's also a pizzeria and bar on site. They also have a pool, which I didn't use. The room I had was facing the street, which I liked, but might be a issue if you're a light sleeper. There are people on the street it seems all night long. The neighborhood felt safe though.

I would definitely stay at both places again. LMK if you have other questions.

TY!

We book Hotel Carolina on Rosario Island on the Island. Still looking for lodging in Cartagena.

Just back from Cartagena. Strongly encourage you to stay inside the walled city - La Ciudad Amurallada. My family and I stayed in one of the coastal condos outside the walled city and that would've been great had I been there for some open water swim workouts. We were there for sightseeing with extended family and we made our way into the walled city for dining. We both knew instantly that's where we should have stayed. Hard to go wrong there and the favorable exchange rate makes it easy for your budget to be the best guide to booking (along with Trip Advisor). Provided you and your party are walkers, stores, restaurants and many of the sights are within walking distance.

I'm proposing to a corporate team that I'm affiliated with that we do a team-building trip there.

If you have someone who's fluent in Spanish, the naval museum is a fascinating walk through history if you fancy it. Strangely enough they don't have signs with translation.

The below website may be helpful.

EDIT: There's a toggle to present the webpage in English.

Coastal condo view. More jetties were distributed equidistantly along the coastline further to the left (west) and they'd make for some great reference markers for open water swim workouts.

1723840757555.jpeg

But below was far more interesting...

This is the clock tower, a famous landmark and entry point into the walled city.

1723840986987.jpeg

1723841047445.jpeg

Typical street scene inside the walled city. Behind the various large, colonial-era doors are hotels, restaurants and shops with a cool inner garden or small courtyard.

1723841230475.jpeg

At various points along the perimeter wall, one can walk along and look down and imagine life as it were hundreds of years ago.

1723841840218.jpeg

Beginning of the naval museum. I can't remember the entrance fee but it's trivial compared to the historical value. Although there is a focus on naval history, there's a wider variety of history presented. My family and I are fluent in Spanish so we didn't need a translator but they're available for hire. The one I overheard was sharp.

1723842005008.jpeg

I dig historical maps.

1723842068706.jpeg

Geopolitical context of the time.

1723842101102.jpeg

If royal drama between Spain and England in the 16th century makes you want to poke your eyes out with a bowling ball, there are hip little bars everywhere. This one is on top of the wall at the western corner of the walled city overlooking the Caribbean.

1723842376168.jpeg

Live salsa music (quality!) with one of the sentinel towers as a backdrop. Just meters beyond the lights in the background is the seashore.

1723842469260.jpeg

Cant help with the Rosario Islands (we went on a day trip only), but stayed at the Alfiz Hotel in the Walled City last November and recommend it. Great location, central, close to the Clock Tower, to Bolivar Plaza, walk to Getsemani. Agree with recommendation to stay in the Walled City - its more expensive, but beautiful as the pics above show. If you're looking for more economical places, look in Getsemani.

Damn, now I wish I visited the naval museum, and dined on top of the wall!

Another vote for the walled city. We stayed out in Bocagrande that required a taxi to the walled city.

Missed the naval museum, maybe because my better half is not interested in these things.

That bar on the wall gets packed at sunset. You can see the sun going down over the sea.

Back
Top Bottom