Rookie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmart64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are diving in Grand Cayman in May and I am looking to purchase a camera before this trip. I am new to UW photography so I would like to get something that will be user friendly but be advanced enough to meet my requirements as my skills grow. I am currently looking at the Canon A620 and the Olympus SP350. I was wondering if someone could provide me with some experienced guidance to help with this decision. I also want to make sure that I get a good housing and something that I can use a strobe with in the future.

Thanks

Joe

Joe -

I think either of these cameras will serve you well. There are several recent threads on each so you might want to have a look see at them for the latest gos.

You will be able to add a strobe to either camera in their own housing or in Ikelite's housing. The other benefit of going the Ike route with the Canon 620 is that you can add wet mate lenses to expand your uw photo opportunities. You can't add the lenses to the Canon housing.

The downside of the Ike is that it's bigger, heavier and bulkier.

I very much wish Canon wouldn't have messed with the port on this housing as being able to use wet mate lenses is a boon to the compact digitals.

But the Ikelite is a fabulous housing and Ike's service is legendary.

Back
Top Bottom