Rookie digital SLR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkelo

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I have recently purchased my first Digital SLR camera, an Olympus E-500, which I got a great deal on. I am new in the SLR world, and have got some questions concerning underwater use. I would like to buy a housing for it, and I´m currently looking at housings from Nimar, as them seem to be of nice quality considering the price. My concern is that I have got the camera with a 17.5-45mm lens, and I am wondering how you use lenses underwater. I guess that you are able to zoom by turning the lens even though it is in the husing!? If I want to for example use a wide angle lens, should you then buy a lens for the camera, or should you buy a lens for the housing? I´m a bit confused about this, as i have only used "regular" digtial cameras for underwater photography. Hope that you understand my confusion, and can hep me to sort it out?

By the way, a fisheye lens isn´t wide angle right?

Best regards, and thank you

Mikkel (Denmark)

Fisheye lenses are VERY wide angle!

For each lens you use underwater, you will need a different port (attaches to the front of your housing). Some ports will accomodate several lenses. Make sure the housing you are interested in supports the lenses you want to use.

Most (but not all) housing manufactures have a zoom gear that aloows you to use your zoom lens underwater. It is attached to (or is part of) the port.

HTH,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom