Roman Wreck in Med is the "Biggest Ever"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is the fourth largest shipwreck from the period ever found in the entire Mediterranean
Not really sure why their title says "biggest ever" when they a few paragraphs down write this...

Either way this is really cool, and I doubt it will become a dive site frequented by tourists.
It's pretty deep, and I don't think they want tourists potentially interfering with the find.

It might be cool from an archeological perspective. With careful analysis of the DNA and the microstructure of the clay they can infer quite a bit about the economy of the Roman Empire. As a diver though, all I see is a bunch of pots scattered in the mud. For a dive this deep I would want to see a bit more structure, and I would be afraid to approach too close anyway.

Not really sure why their title says "biggest ever" when they a few paragraphs down write this...

Either way this is really cool, and I doubt it will become a dive site frequented by tourists.
It's pretty deep, and I don't think they want tourists potentially interfering with the find.

Biggest Roman wreck in the eastern Med. There's one of a similar size/condition in the Aegean off one of the islands. Not sure if it is registered with the Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities or not.

Back
Top Bottom