"Roll Control"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KarolinaKid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am seriously considering moving to the back plate/wing setup and have been impressed with the OxyCheq wings. I have read and heard there are older models without "roll control" that can be purchased on sale and there are the newer models that come with "roll control". I understand the basic concept behind this, but have not "seen" the difference between the two models. Can someone give me a more specific explanation or maybe post a pic of the difference? Maybe some pros and cons?

The models with the roll control have little rods sewn into the wing strategically placed on each side of the tank that serve to brace the tank and...control the roll! These wings have slots in the wings to allow the cam bands to pass through.

If I remember, the wings without roll control do not have slots for cam bands which means they require the use of an STA (Single Tank Adapter). The STA holds the bolts that pass through it, the wing, and then the backplate. The STA is what holds the cam bands and thus the tank.

However, because the STA can be made from different things, such as Stainless Steel or even stainless steel with a lead weight molded into it, many divers use a STA along with the wing with roll control (Like me with my Oxycheq STA, Backplate, and Mach V wing with roll control) because the extra weight of the STA means less lead on the belt.

Hope that helps!

I think Halcyon was the originator of STA-less wings but personally, I think a STA provides far better "roll control" (stability) than the rods. I cut two small slits above the rods and removed them on my Halcyon batwing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom