Rocky Point Trip - September 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here are a few photos from a trip out Isla San Jorge near Rocky Point, Sonora.

Warm water with lots of current this trip.

The Sun & Fun Operator did a great job.

-AZTinman

We r going the week of Oct 6 to Oct 12 w Sun and Fun Aquatic and hoping to dive Bird Island if they have enough diver. If not, we will be diving near the lighthouse. You must have done the 3 tanks dive trip to Isla San Jorge? We r new to diving not sure if we are ready for currents...

Currents around the Isla San Jorge vary depending on tidal flows and other factors. The operator actually predicted that we would have less than optimum diving conditions for this particular trip. Despite the presence of heavy currents, the currents were manageable on the trip; we had less experienced divers on the boat and even a discover scuba diver (dove with under the operator's direct supervision) who managed to avoid the heavy current by staying in more sheltered areas of the sites.

I was partnered with a couple of guys who wanted to look for stuff out in the areas where the current was really heavy. These guys had dove the site quite a lot and were looking for a specific species of mollusk and a specific anemone which has not been named and classified yet. Truthfully, the divers who stayed in the more sheltered areas saw more than my dive partners and I did.

I did dives at the island back in May and there were no heavy current issues at all.

If I recall correctly, two tanks at the island cost $115.00. The operator and his crew put out a really good 'spread' for lunch after the final dive. They cook lunch on the boat.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom