Rock Lake/Agua Negra, N.M.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If one were interested in diving this private location either with a local group or to set up a private team dive date, who would one contact....a specific shops,,property owner direct..? Thanks for any help with information. :)

If one were interested in diving this private location either with a local group or to set up a private team dive date, who would one contact....a specific shops,,property owner direct..? Thanks for any help with information. :)

That can be tough. You have to contact the owner, Deborah Ladyhawk, and be (or go with) an instructor who has insurance and I think with the owner listed as a beneficiary. Hope I don't have that wrong, I'm sure someone will be along with more info. You might want to talk to a shop who already has permission to dive there and try and tag along. Two that I know of who have permission is Sandia Scuba and Snorkel (Bert) Sandia Snorkel and Scuba, Inc. in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Flatirons Scuba in CO Flatirons Scuba

Good luck.

That can be tough. You have to contact the owner, Deborah Ladyhawk, and be (or go with) an instructor who has insurance and I think with the owner listed as a beneficiary. Hope I don't have that wrong, I'm sure someone will be along with more info. You might want to talk to a shop who already has permission to dive there and try and tag along. Two that I know of who have permission is Sandia Scuba and Snorkel (Bert) Sandia Snorkel and Scuba, Inc. in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Flatirons Scuba in CO Flatirons Scuba

Good luck.

Thanks for this information....I was hoping to do one road trek and dive the Blue Hole,,Perch and Rock Lakes. I don't mind hooking up with a group schd. to dive the Rock.
Have you dove the Rock site?

Thanks for this information....I was hoping to do one road trek and dive the Blue Hole,,Perch and Rock Lakes. I don't mind hooking up with a group schd. to dive the Rock.
Have you dove the Rock site?

I have not, but have been wanting to. Kevin, ABQdiver on here, has. You might want to PM him, or I'm sure he'll be along here shortly. James (amascuba) also has dove Rock Lake with Rob from Flatirons. Either of them might be able to provide some more advice.

I have not, but have been wanting to. Kevin, ABQdiver on here, has. You might want to PM him, or I'm sure he'll be along here shortly. James (amascuba) also has dove Rock Lake with Rob from Flatirons. Either of them might be able to provide some more advice.

Again thanks....I have visited with James and he has been very helpful also about the area's diving. I will give Kevin a PM note. I have no real time frame...so that is a plus. :wink:
Were in N.M. do you live?

Im following along, why is this lake so hard to get on? besides private land, is there a high risk involved? Ive dove alot of places on private land, and never had to jump through these loop holes, whats the catch with this one?

Im following along, why is this lake so hard to get on? besides private land, is there a high risk involved? Ive dove alot of places on private land, and never had to jump through these loop holes, whats the catch with this one?

I honestly don't know, but I expect that since it is on private land it is play by the owners rules or you don't get to dive. It is almost 300ft deep, and from what I have heard (could be a rumor) someone has died there before. It think the owner is trying to protect themselves from lawsuits. Again, I am only saying what I have heard people who dove there have said..

Rock Lake is a deep (280FFW at center, approx 200FFW at edges) vertical shaft with limited visibility. It is also not terribly warm, though warmer in general than Blue Hole. It is risky enough that the owner does not want just anybody there. I have dove there with two different groups, Rob Calkins out of Flatirons Scuba and Robin Bashor, Deeper Blue Scuba. I don't know of anyone else that has permission, but Bert likely does (I have dove it with him as part of Robin's group).
It is beautiful in its own way.

Heya Rookers,

How's the knee doing? We need to go diving sometime. :)

Knee is good, I have 50+ dives on it and 4k bicycle miles post surgery. I think I will be in Santa Rosa next weekend, after that its off to Florida for some cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom