Rocio Del Mar - Socorro Islands Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkandls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Trip- April 20-28 to Revillagigedo Islands. Only able to dive Socorro & San Benedicto due to weather.

This was our 10th liveaboard dive trip. The boat was comfortable and easy to get around. Unfortunately the dining area is on the bottom deck, so less fresh air and no windows to look out. The cabins were average with the bathrooms a little small and in need of some overall clean up. Mattress was comfortable. Need fans and reading lights in all cabins. Trying to sleep at night while the boat is moving was difficult for light sleepers because there was a constant creaking of the boat.
The crew was very good, knowledgeable, and helpful. One negative on the crew was the dive guide we had; we swam against the current far to often and after I brought this up, this only changed a little bit. Food was excellent and plenty of it.
The Diving. Well, too bad we had wind all week. Visibility was less than expected 15-30 on average, occasionally 40-50. The wind blows the ash off Socorro island right into the water. In addition, when blowing, the boat is limited to 1-2 dive sites per island. So we got real familiar with the 3-4 sites we were on all week. We were fortunate enough to have our best dive ever with close to 20 dolphins and about 5 mantas for the entire dive. Out of 5 ½ days of diving we had 1 excellent dive day. Shark action was less than expected. Unfortunately the wind became worse towards the end of the trip, which made the motoring home 33 hrs. long until arriving in port.

Wow -- such a different take on things than I had! Of course, our cabin DID have a fan. Reading lights would be nice but we managed. I don't remember much noise at night, but maybe it was because of where our cabin was located.

We had Juan for a dive guide, and I couldn't have been more delighted. We did swim against some current, but apparently that was what you had to do to get to the places where they expected us to see the hammerheads. I guess current is what you have to put up with for the pelagics.

We didn't have as much shark stuff as I thought we might, but the mantas made up for it. Did you not get to play with mantas?

Back
Top Bottom