Roberta's Scuba Shack: anyone for July or August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
After much research and consideration (too many options!) we are looking at going to Roberta's Scuba Shack in July or August and staying at her hotel Village Tan Kah.

It'd be fun to be there with some other divers here - anyone looking at a trip late summer to dive with Scuba Shack?

Lol! After the original thread and the food options thread, I did not see this coming!

This will be convenient for diving and really workable food-wise imo. I can practically taste the whole fried fish for lunch at Casa del Mar as I type.

If you 4-tank, it's much easier to have them drop you at a beach club for lunch, like Paradise or Money Bar and then pick you up from there for tanks 3 and 4. It buys some nice time.

If you want to 3 tank, you can shore dive from Scuba Shack.

I wonder if a 3rd boat tank in the afternoon would be feasible? If you had the understanding that you'd dive Villa Blanca or Paradise it would keep the boat close and cut down on some cost such that it might be workable for the shop and affordable for the diver? $40us? $50? These days, a 3rd on Villa Blanca almost every day sounds just about right.

Once upon a time, I was the only diver on an afternoon boat and staying at Casa del Mar, diving with a 3rd party dive op. The stipulation was that we stay north of Santa Rosa. We did Chankanaab and Villa Blanca. It was excellent. Nice dives. So close to home.

You'll have a great time!!

Lol! After the original thread and the food options thread, I did not see this coming!

This will be convenient for diving and really workable food-wise imo. I can practically taste the whole fried fish for lunch at Casa del Mar as I type.

If you 4-tank, it's much easier to have them drop you at a beach club for lunch, like Paradise or Money Bar and then pick you up from there for tanks 3 and 4. It buys some nice time.

If you want to 3 tank, you can shore dive from Scuba Shack.

I wonder if a 3rd boat tank in the afternoon would be feasible? If you had the understanding that you'd dive Villa Blanca or Paradise it would keep the boat close and cut down on some cost such that it might be workable for the shop and affordable for the diver? $40us? $50? These days, a 3rd on Villa Blanca almost every day sounds just about right.

Once upon a time, I was the only diver on an afternoon boat and staying at Casa del Mar, diving with a 3rd party dive op. The stipulation was that we stay north of Santa Rosa. We did Chankanaab and Villa Blanca. It was excellent. Nice dives. So close to home.

You'll have a great time!!

I surprised myself at what I ended up deciding. Two things I really want on a vacation are QUIET and CONVENIENCE. While an AI is very convenient, I did not want to be somewhere noisy with little kids running all over the place and mediocre food with no sense of the local culture etc. The idea of staying in town sounded pretty good but maybe noisy and again not as convenient as walking a few steps to the boat like at Roberta's.

I love the idea of a small boutique place where we can have quiet evenings, and enjoy the local culture and food without it being a hassle.

Roberta said we could play it by ear for afternoon dives, and I like your idea of suggesting a one tank afternoon dive closely like your idea of Villa Blanca or Paradise and maybe we'll do a two tank afternoon dives on two other days. I want to leave two afternoons totally free to relax and explore town. So maybe midweek, like Tues or Wed, and then of course Friday afternoon we would not dive since we would leave on Saturday.

Thanks again!

You do know there are not a lot of dinner choices in that area, and you will need to cab it if you want good food

You do know there are not a lot of dinner choices in that area, and you will need to cab it if you want good food
Yes, and that is okay. From what other posters have said, and an email from Roberta herself, it is very easy to get a cab to/from town and not expensive. I figure if we are there one week, we'll go into town 3 nights, and otherwise just pick up something nearby. I also like the idea of going into town a couple of afternoons for a late lunch/early dinner, and having some munchies/snacks in the room later. We can stop at the grocery on our first day and pick up a few snack type foods, cheese, crackers, etc.

You know what? At some point I became overwhelmed with the options and choices. Yes, I know we will have to take a cab to town. Would rather not. But everything else sounds wonderful. To be honest, I got sick and tired of looking at all the options. Maybe we'll try a different way next time, if we go and love being there. Or maybe we will be loyal customers of Scuba Shack.

You know what? At some point I became overwhelmed with the options and choices. Yes, I know we will have to take a cab to town. Would rather not. But everything else sounds wonderful. To be honest, I got sick and tired of looking at all the options. Maybe we'll try a different way next time, if we go and love being there. Or maybe we will be loyal customers of Scuba Shack.
I'll bet that once you grab a taxi into town to go to La Choza, or Kondesa, or Especias, or 'Ohana, or... and see how easy it is, you'll do it more than a couple of times. Do it early in your trip. BTW, 'Ohana is owned by a DM at Blue Angel, Mateo (aka Matt from Chicago), and his wife, and the food is excellent. I recommend their coconut shrimp.

I surprised myself at what I ended up deciding. Two things I really want on a vacation are QUIET and CONVENIENCE. While an AI is very convenient, I did not want to be somewhere noisy with little kids running all over the place and mediocre food with no sense of the local culture etc. The idea of staying in town sounded pretty good but maybe noisy and again not as convenient as walking a few steps to the boat like at Roberta's.

I love the idea of a small boutique place where we can have quiet evenings, and enjoy the local culture and food without it being a hassle.

Roberta said we could play it by ear for afternoon dives, and I like your idea of suggesting a one tank afternoon dive closely like your idea of Villa Blanca or Paradise and maybe we'll do a two tank afternoon dives on two other days. I want to leave two afternoons totally free to relax and explore town. So maybe midweek, like Tues or Wed, and then of course Friday afternoon we would not dive since we would leave on Saturday.

Thanks again!

Based on all you've written, I think you nailed this and have a great plan. There's nothing wrong with the food at Ernesto's or Casa del Mar, and they couldn't be more convenient. Same with Paprika though I understand it's closed. The menu (tiny) on the Facebook page for Tikila is an easy couple of lunches. Bonus? At Ernesto's or Tikila you're dining oceanside.

Like you said, you can try this and if it works, great, if not you can dial it in next time.

I suspect the day is gonna come that you'll walk off the boat at about noonish, deal with your stuff and walk straight into Ernesto's, which is right next to Scuba Shack. 35 feet? You're going to sit down, order whatever you order and it's going to be delicious and relaxing and beautiful.

I'm hoping you write a review when you get back. It will be very interesting to hear how it worked out.

There are quite a few food delivery services available also. I haven't used them myself but if you pay attention you will notice ads or signs providing delivery service information.

There are quite a few food delivery services available also. I haven't used them myself but if you pay attention you will notice ads or signs providing delivery service information.
Food delivery services are doing very well these days here in Austin, and I suspect that's true of just about everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom