Roberta's Dive Shack Opinions and Dive Site Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that far; Cozumel is a small island. We always stay at Blue Angel and never rent a car, and Tan Kah isn't that much farther. Cabs are constantly running up and down that stretch of Melgar (the main drag) and they are cheap.
Okay, but what do you have for lunch if diving with Scuba Shack and staying at Tan Kah? Just wondering...

Okay, but what do you have for lunch if diving with Scuba Shack and staying at Tan Kah? Just wondering...

You might look at an earlier post of mine in this thread, I talk about that. Roberta's is a good 45 minute walk from downtown, and I walk fairly quickly. I enjoy the walk, but most people staying there take cabs into town or eat at one of the few close restaurants. You can also make a run to the supermarket and keep some things in the small fridge in your room. It is a nice place to stay; it's quiet and convenient for diving, not so much for food.

Question on location of Roberta's Scuba Shack and Village TanKa? It does not look like it is very close to town. Does everyone rent a car if staying/diving at Roberta's? It looks like a great place.

It's further from town than I would walk. I would walk to Chedrau for Blue Angel and that was a hike. We walked from VTK to Blue Angel and that was a hike. Adding them together then adding the distance Chedrau to town is more than I want to think about. Especially if it is sweltering hot.

We usually rely on taxis and there will almost always be one next door lined up at Casa del Mar though they wanted 90 pesos to town versus 80 from the ones on the street. That's chump change in my mind so we just walked out and turned to CDM. When returning we would tell driver Casa del Mar since it's better known and when he pulls into the drive we say here is fine. It's literally 20 feet from the entrance to VTK. With the covid slowdown however, taxis can be scarce before 8am or after 8pm so if you have an early departure or going out late you might have to wait 15 minutes or call for one on whatsapp.

We do rent a VW convertible from ISIS a few days every trip and try to maximize those days to get to the more out of the way places and visit east side. We like to do it the last 3 days since we can pack our bags, drive to turn in the car, and they will drop us off at airport.

For lunch, we spent way too much at Ernesto's. It's so convenient, right next door to Scuba Shack and you can sit at a table, have tacos and beers after your dive, and watch your gear dry.

Back
Top Bottom