Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveWoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are headed to Roatan. This will be our first time. We have been looking at the Reef House Resort, but looking for suggestions. We can stay anywhere on the island and just looking for the best diving, not worried about the lodging as much. Is there a better side of the island for diving or is CCV and RHR just as good as any diving? If so CCV vs. RHR... any advice on ideas welcome, just want to dive, eat and sleep.... and repeat.

I suggest you try the search button....why? Because everything you'll ever need has already been discussed there....give it a go....hint.....West End!

And you'll love Roatan, it's a very nice island to relax, dive, eat and drink....

We were very happy With Turquoise Bay Resorts and Subway Watersports. I wrote a full review in this forum. Nicest dive boats I've ever been on.

Safe travels,
Jay

We really enjoyed staying and diving in the West End. We are going back for our second stay at Seagrape Plantation Seagrape Plantation Resort Hotel and Diveshop in West End, Roatan in May. We have also stayed and dived with Splash Inn. Seagrape is about a 10 minute walk from the main street in West End. It's a family run business and a nice, quiet place. We have opted to stay in the cabins again. No TVs but a nice QUIET view and breeze We liked the option of taking the short walk for a street side or small restaurant meal. Don't miss Creole's Rotisserie Chicken.
West Bay is farther south with a larger sandy beach and some bigger hotels/resorts. A different vibe but also an option.

. We can stay anywhere on the island and just looking for the best diving, .....just want to dive, eat and sleep.... and repeat.

You got some great suggestions.... But not in-line with your specific stated needs.
Dive, eat, sleep = Coco View

Not much more math than that.

You got some great suggestions.... But not in-line with your specific stated needs.
Dive, eat, sleep = Coco View

Not much more math than that.
Thanks Doc! I reached out to CoCo View last night. It sounds great. The only hesitation I have are the comments about the color of the reef, lack of bigger fish and water clarity. We dive out of Seattle and the visibility is many times less then 15 feet. We do love the macro life as well. We want dive and dive in a beautiful part of the island. I am not into the vacation scene... don't need bars, shops full of crap and people everywhere. We will be at Infinity Bay Resort for the previous week for a wedding and will sneak in some diving there as well.... Thinking West Bay Divers for a la carte dives? Always great to hear from a fellow Chicagoan!

We really enjoyed staying and diving in the West End. We are going back for our second stay at Seagrape Plantation Seagrape Plantation Resort Hotel and Diveshop in West End, Roatan in May. We have also stayed and dived with Splash Inn. Seagrape is about a 10 minute walk from the main street in West End. It's a family run business and a nice, quiet place. We have opted to stay in the cabins again. No TVs but a nice QUIET view and breeze We liked the option of taking the short walk for a street side or small restaurant meal. Don't miss Creole's Rotisserie Chicken.
West Bay is farther south with a larger sandy beach and some bigger hotels/resorts. A different vibe but also an option.
Great advice. We will take a look. Right now trying to figure out if it will be a week on the West End or South... I am torn.

Get a place in Sandy Bay do some days on the North side, and some on the south.

My wife and I are headed to Roatan. This will be our first time. We have been looking at the Reef House Resort, but looking for suggestions. We can stay anywhere on the island and just looking for the best diving, not worried about the lodging as much. Is there a better side of the island for diving or is CCV and RHR just as good as any diving? If so CCV vs. RHR... any advice on ideas welcome, just want to dive, eat and sleep.... and repeat.

We stayed at RHR during our first trip to Roatan years ago and it was quite rustic and the food was uninspired but everyone was friendly and we had a good time - the diving was nice but not overwhelming - a lot of macro. Our second trip was with Fantasy Island, it wasn't as run down back then and we had a nice time but again, nothing special, and the food was blah. I have never stayed at CCV but we visited the resort and dived the shore dive and it was good.

Stoo posted this trip report for RHR a couple of years ago and I wasn't thrilled by his description of roaches in the rooms and floating rafts of plastic garbage on the sea. I wouldn't go back to Reef House or Fantasy Island but I would consider CocoView if we ever decide to make another trip to Roatan.
Trip Report - ReefHouse Resort, Roatan

I have never stayed or visited at Anthony's Key Resort and I have read both good and bad reviews so more research is needed. But generally I see more positive reviews of CCV than of AKR, and CCV is more likely to book up fast so that is suggestive.

AKR is offering their 2 for 1 all-inclusive special again this year (see link below) so that's a consideration. When you are comparison shopping resorts on Roatan, keep in mind that there is an added 19% tax that usually isn't included in the advertised price - I think that is true for most of the Roatan resorts and rental properties.
50th Anniversary Special | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras – Anthony's Key Resort – Sandy Bay – Honduras

Hope that you have a great dive trip!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom